Chapter 22

A/N: Sorry it's taken so long for an update! I know the last chapter left off on a cliffhanger and many of you have probably been waiting very anxiously to see how this whole thing pans out. That being said, thank you so much for over 3k reads! The thought that made me so hesitant to start writing this book was that I was afraid it wouldn't get any attention and barely anyone would read it. I never would've dreamed I would even get 30 reads, much less 3,000! I'm so glad you guys have been enjoying this book because it was a concept I had brewing in my mind for a very long time that has finally come to fruition, and I have a lot planned for the remaining chapters. Sadly, I think this book will be coming to an end soon since it's about halfway through the plot, but the good news is that I do have an idea for a potential sequel if enough people end up being interested in this story, so please comment and vote to let me know. A lot is about to happen within these next few chapters; I have planned tons of twists and turns you'll never expect. Enjoy!

*Nicole's POV*

Well. This is it. It's over; he's never going to gain their acceptance after this catastrophe. And it's my fault. How could I manage to keeps my hands of him for months and decide to falter now at the moment where it was most crucial for me to keep my composure?

At that moment my body completely froze. It almost felt like we had been caught shoplifting or something and there was no way of getting out of it because there were witnesses.

Well, if I'm being honest, this isn't exactly how I pictured reconciling with my parents for the first time in almost 5 months.

I quickly struggled to pull myself off of Michael's lap and stumbled to my feet while he followed my lead by clearing his throat and straightening his tie as he rose up from the couch.

"Mom. Dad. I-" My Mom interrupts me by holding up a hand.

"We didn't see anything." she sighs while suppressing an awkward chuckle, obviously lying. She holds out her arms for what I can only interpret as an invitation for a hug. I quickly oblige and fall into her arms. "We've missed you, sweetie." she says as I feel her grip tighten around me. I've missed this feeling; the one I have only when she hugs me. These are the same arms that have hugged me goodnight for 18 years, and although falling asleep in Michael's arms these last few nights have been a new, exciting feeling, it's incomparable to the security that I feel when I'm wrapped in her arms.

We hug for what seems like forever before she lets me go, leaving me in the position to acknowledge my dad whose face possesses an almost somber look.

"Hi, Dad." I say hesitantly.

He doesn't say anything in return. Instead, he just extends his arms for a hug as well, except his arms feel different than how they used to. It was almost as if he was apprehensive about embracing me. although we were never close before this whole ordeal, I can honestly say I have never felt more distant from him than in this particular moment.

I pull away from his arms, sensing the tension in the air that is so thick you can cut it with a knife. I take a small step sideways to reveal Michael who is awkwardly standing behind me.

I clear my throat. "Um, you guys know Michael." I feel my voice slightly strain to get out all the way due to the sheer amount of anxiety I'm feeling at this moment.

"Unfortunately." I hear my Dad mumble under his breath. My Mom swiftly elbows him in the arm in order to make him stop his indiscretions.

"Yes, Michael!" She says in a fake, almost manufactured happy tone. I can tell she's not 100% happy with this arrangement. "Nice to finally meet you in a less hostile environment." she says.