Chapter 10

*Nicole's POV*

I feel an elbow nudge my arm, almost causing my head to fall and make contact with the desk.

I look over at Christina, who isn't a close friend of mine, but rather a class acquaintance. She looks me in the eyes then gestures her head towards Professor Dachel who's beady ones are piercing right through mine.

"Miss Westwood? Are you paying attention?" she asks me in an annoyed tone. "Because if you're not going to pay attention in my class, you're welcome to leave."

I feel a pit form in the bottom of my stomach. "Yeah, I am." I say while shaking my head vigorously. "I'm sorry."

That clearly doesn't cut it for her. "You can daydream about Luke any other time, but not right now." she retorts snarkily. 

My eyes widen, and I feel my cheeks begin to burn. I hear a few scattered chuckles around the room as Luke, the guy I had a crush on since the beginning of the semester turns around and flashes a cheesy smile at me, most likely as a joke.

Of course, he didn't know that I liked him and we had only talked when he asked about the classwork a few times, but other than that, we were complete strangers. Plus, now that Michael had entered my life, Luke hadn't really crossed my mind lately.

Professor Dachel must've thought I was staring at him when in reality, I was staring into space daydreaming about my date with Michael later tonight.I can tell by now that I'm most likely a deep shade of crimson from embarrassment.

"I'm sorry, Professor." are the only words I can muster out.

"I know you are," she says. "now copy down the notes." she tells me while stepping aside to reveal the plethora of information I missed.

I nod my head and pick up my pen as I begin to quickly scribble down the information.

"I can't wait for this class to be over." I think to myself.

---

It's 6:51 p.m.

Michael said he would be here at 7:00 to pick me up.

My parents already left for their date about 30 minutes ago. My Mom asked if I had plans tonight, but I just told her me and Lucy were going to hang out at her place with some friends.

I pace around the living room nervously, wringing my hands. I make my way over to the mirror we have hanging up next to the front door and take a look at myself.

I don't like what I see, but then again- I never do.

I've never thought I was pretty. Even though people always tell me I am, I just can't bring myself to believe it. I had gone so long thinking no one would be interested in me because of my looks. That's why with Michael, I just decided to say "screw it" and make a move since being rejected would be less painful than being overlooked or never knowing what might've happened.

The risk was worth it, and I couldn't be happier. Because of my actions, I was finally getting to experience something I had been waiting my entire life for. 

And I was getting to do it with undeniably the sweetest person I'd ever met.

I suddenly hear a soft knock on the door and whip my head around. My heart rate begins to increase. The fact that this is actually about to happen makes me want to explode due to both fear as well as happiness.

I look in the mirror one last time and quickly adjust my hair before I take a few slow steps towards the door.

 I reach for the chain lock and slowly slide it off. I then reach for the lock on the doorknob and twist it at the same pace.

I take a deep breath and grasp it; ready to open the door for the person who held all of my life's possibilities.