Chapter 12

*Nicole's POV*

We had made it to the theater just minutes before the movie was supposed to start. Despite Michael and I being in a rush to make it there in time, he was still a complete and utter gentleman, even taking the time sprint around the car to open the door for me before I had a chance to do it myself.

After we handed our tickets to the man at the front door, I was confused when I noticed Michael and I were walking in different directions.

"Michael? What are you doing?" I ask him.

He looks at me equally confused. "Getting popcorn." he says in a tone that implies I should have already known the answer.

I laugh at him "The movie is about to start, you don't think you could skip the popcor-"

He puts a hand up to silence me. "Nicole," he says with a smile. "I need popcorn."

I laugh at him. "Alright, I guess it won't hurt to miss the first couple minutes." I say with a small smile.

He grins. "Thanks." he says sweetly, placing a kiss on top of my head. "C'mon, let's get in line before more people come." he says while taking my hand in his to pull me in the direction of the concession stand.

I must admit that he's very hands-on for this only being our first date, but I'm not complaining since it is pretty nice to be touched in a romantic way for a change.

We take our place in line. Even though we're no longer moving, he still doesn't let go of my hand. I take a look at the people around us and notice that a few of them are giving us either perplexed or disgusted looks. I look up at Michael to see if he notices. To my surprise, he's standing there with the biggest smile, completely oblivious to their judgemental glares.

As much as it is nice to see him like this, I can't help but feel just a little bit sad that he doesn't realize. I obviously knew our relationship would be subjected to scrutiny, but I didn't think it would be this much this fast.

I wiggle my hand out of Michael's, pretending to reach into my pocket for my phone to check the time that reads 8:00.

I put my phone back into my pocket and let my hand fall to my side. I feel Michael's hand navigate towards mine and take it in his grip once again. I don't want to hurt his feelings, but I have to admit that I'm a little bit uneasy about the looks we are receiving. 

My eyes bounce around all over the room, landing on every individual within my range of sight, searching their eyes and expressions in an attempt to read their minds.

While inspecting those before me, I see the most horrific thing I could possibly imagine-

my parents.