Chapter 12

I know that everything Luke does is aimed to try and protect me. It is true that I nearly died in front of him. It is also true that I madly adore the man. But, it is also true, that he is on my last and final nerve.

"Luke! For the hundredth time! I do not need you to wait outside of the bathroom door while I am inside." My eyes roll on their own accord, so used to doing it that I'm starting to get dizzy. For the past week, Luke has not left my side. From following me around school all day long to driving me everywhere I need to go. He's come to my house most nights and not left until I was asleep. Granted, I have been sleeping so much better and my family has very much enjoyed his company. Ember adores him, my mom already looks at him like a son. Him being at my house has relaxed my mom in a way I haven't seen in so long. She's not walking around by my side, she's not waiting on me hand and foot. Having a male in the house that I trust has opened her up.

His concerned voice pours through the doorway in a muffled pitch. "Are you sure?" Even with a door between us I can picture the fire in his eyes as he worries about me from afar. A far two feet. His concern is warming. No guy, besides Cole, has ever cared about me. Luke, in just two weeks, has shown more love and compassion for me than my own father.

Even if the concern makes me feel safe, I still can't help but to sigh. "No, Lucian, I'm going to fall into the toilet and drown." I can taste the sarcasm that rolls out of my mouth as I speak. I can also taste the shock as the door to the bathroom is slammed open. Luke stands on the other side, exaggeratingly panting. "Luke!" My jaw is on the floor as he stands there glaring at me. "Get out!" Ignoring my shouts, he stalks closer on strong legs.

"Never joke about your death ever again." His tone is dangerous. Angry. I stand in shock, as still as a pole, as he continues to march into the bathroom I was previously utilizing. Strong fingers wrap around my jaw and pull my head up. Icy blue and fiery red collide. Anger and shock mix. Even through the anger clouding in his eyes, the lust is also evident. A smirk creeps onto my lips as his eyes flicker from mine to my lips. I dart my tongue out and moisten my bottom lip. The air around us is charged with a new electricity. Rather than the anger and agitation that filled the air, there is a strong desire for one another. A groan leaves Luke's lips and they separate, my eyes drawn to the action. With my face still in his hand, Luke slams his lips on mine. I smile slightly while we're pressed together. He can never stay mad at me for longer than five minutes when I pout out my lips. His lust overweighs his anger. Always.

As per usual, he takes over the kiss. His tongue tangles with mine inside my mouth as our lips move together. My hands wrap around his waist and move up until my fingers are locked in his hair. Luke keeps one hand on my jaw and another around my own waist.

"What are you doing to me Annabella?" His words are whispered as we remain close. Our foreheads rest upon one another and our mangled breathing fills the air. "Before meeting you, I was purely horrid. My temper was ridiculous. Now, all you needed to do was look at me with those eyes and I was completely calmed." His confession warms my heart. I changed him.

Gently, I place a kiss on his cheek. I may not be willing to admit it, but he's changed me too. Even in just a few days, I am learning to stand up for myself and speak my mind. I love it. "I'm glad I can help. Now please get out of the bathroom so I can finish my business." A smile tugs at his face and he lets out a quiet chuckle. I feel his lips on the top of my head before he turns and walks out of the room.

I watch Luke leave with a smile on my face. He closes the door behind him and I instantly slide down the wall. I adore that man. With my whole heart. My heart feels so full and happy knowing I've helped him grow to become someone nicer in just a week. Honestly, it feels like my heart is going to explode.

The pounding in my chest moves to my head. I thought my heart was going to explode from happiness, but now I'm concerned. I open my mouth to call for Luke but all that comes out is a whine. The room around me starts to shrink, almost like I'm growing. Even through the haze around me, I can hear Luke pounding on the door and calling my name. I try to call his name one last time. A whine and a groan pour out instead. And then everything goes dark.