Chapter 35

In a performance, when an actor is boring the audience, a cane pulls them back into the curtains. I basically feel as if that's what happened. At almost the exact second I rose from the ground and started marching towards the door, Cerin pulls me back by the waist. It seems that no matter how many times I remind the men in my life that I don't need protecting, they don't care. For some reason, they still feel as if they have the authority to control me. "Honey, where do you think you're going?" His voice shatters the angry thoughts in my head.

An eye roll occurs naturally. "This whole war is my fault. I'm going to be in it. Whether that be to talk you two idiots out of it or to protect you from killing one another." As if it was planned, the entire family begins arguing over whether or not I'm allowed to help. It doesn't seem to matter what I say or think in this scenario. Cerin keeps his red eyes on me the entire time conversation floods the room, leaving me with no room to run and stop this nonsense. Standing there, a pout on my face, I glare at the entire Asmodeus family. "Stop! I'm joining this fight. I caused the drama leading to the violence. Last time I checked, none of you have any say in what I can and cannot do. Please don't try and tell me what to do."

The brothers all start cracking up as if what I said was a joke. "Oh honey. Last time I checked, you were mine. I can deem that I don't want my queen getting hurt and she can't do anything about it." Mr. Possessive-and-all-powerful decides to chime in through his laughter. My jaw drops. I've told them a million times that I don't belong to anyone besides myself. It's this magical proposition known as freedom that grants me this power. For some reason, King Cerin has decided that I have no freedoms in this world.

Just as I did the first time Luke tried to stop me, I use my flexibility to an advantage. With a kick to his shin and a punch to his nose, I get him to release his hold on my arm. But, with my luck, he gets over his pain quite fast. As soon as I start to run, his strong arms decide to grab me once again. This time they begin to drag me upstairs.

Following the turns engraved in my memory, I realize that we're headed for his room.

"Put me down!" Rage streams through my body with no filter. It isn't clicking in his brain that I'm helping in this fight. A fight that I want to end with no death. Snapping me from my own thoughts, his hand starts to travel onto my hip. If this man thinks that I plan on having sex with him while my best friends are outside dying. "This is no time to frick-frack!" With violent strength, I slap his hand holding my arm. Repeatedly.

No warning comes first. Cerin pushes me against the wall to our left, slamming his lips on mine. The anger I had felt towards him dissolves into a puddle. I absolutely adore this man even if he annoys me more that I care to admit. Melting into his arms like the big give-in I am, I move my lips with his. 

He pulls back from the kiss, resting his forehead on mine. The hall is silent, save for our heavy breathing. "Annabella, I'm not letting you fight." The intensity in his red eyes melts the ice in mine. "I'm. Not. Losing. You." Each word is punctuated with a kiss. Finality drips from the way he says it. A tear slips down my face. It's always been evident that my feelings towards him were mutual. The fact that he wants to protect me, even if he has no right, just shows how deep the feelings actually run.

But, of course, everything is too good to be true. Cerin opens up a door to our right, one I didn't even notice, and gently shoves me inside. I hear the click of a lock from the outside. "I'm sorry my love. I'll be back." Through the door, his voice comes out muffled.

I don't put up a fight. No pounding on the door, no screaming for him to return and release me. Instead, I slide down the door and break into sobs. I sob for the fact that I caused this. I sob for the amount of pain that is about to occur. I sob for the families who have family members out there. But, mainly, I sob for the two men who I've fallen in love with. They both have absolutely amazing lives ahead of them. I managed to screw up each of their futures by allowing them to invade my heart just as I did theirs.. They both have families and people that love them. And yet, there they go, willing to kill one another for my hand. A hand that they've never cared to ask my opinion on. A hand that I don't even know my own opinion on. I have no way to solve all these problems. I have no way to let my family and friends know that I love them. I have no way to let either man know that I love them. I'm all alone and I have no power left.