Chapter 32

Swish, swish. The fabric around my legs sways with each step I take. Just as I suspected, the dress matches the roses in my hair to perfection. Luna and I stand side by side in the tall mirror, surveying ourselves and each other. She looks positively stunning in her green dress that matches her bright eyes. With her black hair pulled up in an elegant bun decorated in simple daisies, she looks equal parts gorgeous and regal. Standing beside her, my red dress pops against my pale skin. Blonde curls are pulled up behind my head in a simple and low twist complemented with the roses from Cerin's bouquet. My lips are painted a shade to match while my eyes are accented with darker colors. For the first time, I can honestly say that I look as much like a Princess as Luna does. Our major difference is the golden tiara topping her head, decorated with green jewels to match her dress. She was adamant that I wear one too but I argued strongly against it. I may have gained the confidence of a Queen and the appearance of a Princess, but I am neither. Of course, I allowed her some compromise. The silver band that is attached to my head is a ring of thorns. The ends are sharp as daggers, ready to cut through anyone who crosses me. It is honestly the perfect finale to my look for the evening.

As was expected, neither of us could decide on a mask. Butterflies are too common, plain cat eyes are too boring, and anything with feathers was too much. We were digging through the large box we had found in the Queen's closet when Luna's father walks in.

"Girls," he says, "you both look absolutely stunning." We both curtsy at the same moment, causing us to break out into giggles. "But it seems here that you are both missing masks." It takes a lot from me to contain my sarcastic comment at the obvious fact of the evening. He walks to the spot between us before searching through the box as well. As if it was magic, he instantly pulls out a green and gold mask. The top has slight leaf decals that match the theme of Luna's look. She jumps up in unadulterated excitement before using my help in tying the single green ribbon. I tuck in the excess pieces, letting them fall from beneath her bun in curls. Her father picked it to perfection. She looks perfect. This time, he scans my outfit up and down. It only takes him moments before returning with a silver mask. The mask of thorns appears as if it would cover nearly half of my face, one side down to my cheek and the other to below my eye. Small rubies cover the metal in random locations, almost like roses, with a few green gems falling close as leaves. I hand the red ribbon to Luna who ties it around the back of my head and tucks the extras under my twist. Very little ribbon shows, making the mask perfect. I can't stop myself from latching onto the man and hugging him. He helped a lot.

Luna and I look over our outfits once more before agreeing that we're perfect. I don't even need to attend the ball, I already feel more beautiful than I ever have before. Hand in hand, Luna and I walk to the ballroom. Her mother and father stand by the doors, colors coordinating. The Queen is wearing an icy blue dress with a simple white mask and her husband is wearing a tuxedo with a blue tie and white mask made of metal. The twins come next, tuxedos sporting red ties, faces covered in masks that look like flames. The Queen's smile is radiant when she takes in her daughter and I.

"You girls look absolutely amazing," her voice is as perfect as her look. I curtsy accordingly, telling her how perfect she looks as well. "What's going to happen tonight is simple. My husband and I will go first, followed by Luna, followed by the twins, and then followed by Annabella. Annabella, Cerin is waiting for you on the middle step, he was positively against seeing you prior to. Something about the first look being perfect, I don't know." Everyone laughs at this while I blush of course. "From there, we will descend into the ballroom and the night will begin. I can assume, Annabella, that Cerin will want you on his arm this evening so you will most likely be with him. If you need anything, though, do not hesitate to ask." For them, the evening may be average routine. For me, this is my first time ever attending something fancier than a birthday party.