Chapter 16

I'm still trapped. I have been looking for a way out for what feels like forever and I'm still stuck in here. No one has come inside the room to even check on me. I'm still sitting on the floor with no idea as to where I am. Plus now I'm hungry.

As if I was a character from a movie, I flop unceremoniously onto the bed. My stomach growls into the silent room and I groan with it. Boredom is overtaking me bit by bit and I'm starting to lose my mind. No one to talk to, nothing to do, nowhere to go.

The door flies open with a bang that rattles the room. As any normal person would, I shoot straight up on the bed I am currently flopped across. As only I could manage, I fall straight onto the floor from the force of sitting up. I let out a groan as I land hard on the floor beneath me. The person in the doorway proceeds to just stand and watch me. When I look up, I'm met with a gorgeous sight. Black hair, at least six feet off the ground, dark skin tone. Tall, dark, and handsome is an understatement when it comes to this man. The shadows from my angle make it impossible to see his eye color. I can feel the shock on my face so I tone it down a notch. Instead, I take a deep breath. Of course, I gag almost immediately. The smell of sex and sweat are flooding the room around me.

"I am royally sorry that I neglected to come see you earlier, I was... preoccupied." His voice comes out with a deep confidence that gets on my nerves instantly. As any guy does, his face breaks out into a smirk the moment he makes even a mention towards sex. He moves on strong legs, taking confident strides. The whole thing would be much more attractive if it wasn't for the look on his face. His smirk from earlier remains and I can already picture the bedroom eyes he has going on. My mind works quickly on a way to get out of this situation. I don't care how good looking he is. I am not allowing a male to trap me in a bedroom.

I wait for him to get closer to me so I don't give him any hints on my plan to escape. With the way he walks, his legs remain slightly separated. Rather than me just running around him, giving him an easy chance at grabbing me, I'm going through his legs. He's less likely to be able to grab me if I'm closer to the ground than he is. Considering I am already dramatically shorter than him, I'm going to be very low down. I keep my innocent smile plastered on my face like a doll. There's no way he's suspicious of me, especially since the prospect of getting me into bed seems to be running through his mind. With speed, I push off of the ground and go between his legs. No matter how quickly he thinks he bent down to stop me, he wasn't quick enough. As soon as I pass through, I'm up on my feet and out the door. I slam said door shut behind me in hopes of gaining extra time to escape. Despite my full-proof plan for freedom, I neglected to think about where I would go from there. I have no idea where I am and which hallways to take. My legs decide quickly knowing that time is of the essence. Soon, I'm shooting around turns and through hallways. I hear no footsteps from behind me, yet I refuse to allow myself to get cocky. There's no time to congratulate myself as I'm trying to get out.

Hallway after hallway, I run. Up and down stairs, I run. I never enter any rooms and I never turn back. If people are following me, I don't hear them and I don't care. All I can focus on is getting out of this place.

That is, until I crash face first into someone. Both the person and I fall back onto the ground, gasps leaving both of our mouths. Neither one of us says anything for a few moments. I hear the person clear their throat from in front of me. I raise my eyes to meet who stopped my escape. A gorgeous, older woman is lying on the floor across from me. Her small frame is decked out in an elegant blue dress, yet her feet are completely bare. On top of her silvery hair is a sparkling tiara. I instantly register that she must be someone of high importance. Slowly, I put two and two together. A huge building with regal decor, a woman wearing a tiara and a dress, the marking on the doorknob. I'm trapped in a castle. I look back to the lady once more and see her staring at me with an eyebrow raised. Oh, shit! I just knocked down a queen!

My mouth snaps open like a trap door as I try to speak my peace. But, with just my luck, no words come out. Instead of criticizing me, a giggle falls from her lips and her eyebrow lowers. Her beautiful green eyes sparkle in this moment of happiness.

"Um, hello?" I mumble, my voice coming out as more of a question than a statement. What are you supposed to say to a queen? She smiles like a kid on Christmas as she looks my body up and down. Despite my less than royal appearance, I must have earned her approval. After a moment of confusion, I scramble to my feet. "I am so sorry, ma'm, for crashing into you." I reach out a hand to assist her back off of the ground. "It's just, I was running away from the man who broke into my room because he left the door open and I was trapped in there for a while. I think he thought I was going to fall at his feet and sleep with him, but instead I crawled through his legs and escaped. Then I crashed into you and now I am so incredibly sorry." Her eyes widen at my quick recap of what has happened this morning. She scoffs at my outstretched hand before climbing to her feet herself. Now it's my turn for my eyes to widen as I drop into a bow like I see in movies.

Her smile turns gentle as she taps on my shoulder. I straighten my spine and look into her eyes. "It's my turn to apologize. On behalf of my son." A smile crosses my face when I realize she isn't going to have me beheaded. Her eyes roll at the mention of her son. He must have been the man that entered my room. "He does not know how to behave around proper women. In all honesty, he has a grand habit of landing himself with trashy girls since they are the ones who typically end up in Hell. Now he is a king so he knows how to behave in royal court, but he lacks the ability to use that knowledge when speaking to someone in a normal setting."

As her words process in my head, all I can do is stare at her and blink. King? Hell?

Her small giggle fills the hall once more at the confusion most definitely evident on my face. "Yes. My son is the king of Hell. His father, my first husband, was the king before him. When he passed, Cerin took over." I take a moment to reevaluate this woman. Her skin is pale white. Cerin is most definitely a mixture child. My mouth stays shut as I continue to process the new information thrown at me. Her mouth, on the other hand, does not. "My son takes after his father in the sense that he is an imbecile. But I do not believe that you remain confused about who that man upstairs was. Is it the location you currently reside in?" I nod slowly, thankful for her intuition. "Oh, honey. You are currently in Hell. I am slightly concerned as to how you arrived here rather than heaven, though. You seem so sweet. We shall ask Cerin at dinner."

Dinner?

A new voice fills the hallway, causing both of us to look. "Dinner?"

Cerin.