Chapter 29

I open my eyes, expecting to be met by warmth. I slept better than I have in a while last night. Of course, it all chalks up to the fact that Cerin held me all night long and didn't leave me alone. At least he didn't leave me until this morning. No warmth surrounds me. The spot that he had inhabited is still warm to the touch, meaning he left fairly recently, but it's still an empty spot. Disappointment flashes through me quickly as I sit up. I fell asleep in the hospital gown last night. The fabric is falling off of my one shoulder and only gets worse when I stretch out. Even if he left me here alone I need to wake up comfortably. Cerin's bedroom is fairly plain compared to the rest of the castle, only the bare necessities fill in all the empty space. The four-poster bed that I'm still sitting in is the main object of show with its tall frame and curtains draped from the poles. The bed sports two end tables, one on either side, and a small lounge chair at the end. I lean across the comforter and grab my glasses from the table. Cerin must have taken them off in my sleep. Right beside the black frames, a single piece of paper sits. Just like I usually do, I overreacted. The paper is covered in Cerin's sloppy scrawl.

"Goodmorning, Beautiful.

I am incredibly sorry I couldn't be here when you woke up. Duty calls. Breakfast will be sent up to your room immediately upon you pressing the buzzer on the wall. Luna specifically requested that you find her when you wake up.

XOXO

Cerin"

As if it were a disease my happiness spreads across my face and into my heart. Cerin is one hell of a man. Breakfast in bed? That's something new for me. My energy is nonexistent. I flop back into the bed, my hair falling around my face. A natural, pleasant feeling courses through my body on a racecourse. It's been a pretty good morning and I'm mentally planning for just as good of an afternoon.

As if on cue, the door to Cerin's room flies open. The small, black haired beauty that has become one of my closest friends comes prancing into the room like a puppy on steroids. "Annabella! Good morning!" Her voice is a pool of happiness as she physically skips over to my bedside. Just as dramatic as I was, she flops down beside me onto the bed. "How'd you sleep," she questions me all while turning to face me. She wiggles her eyebrows suggestively and I can't help but to laugh at her. I slap her arm lightly, a blush making its way onto my face.

"I slept wonderful, thank you very much!"

"I'm sure you did, honey, I'm sure you did."

My eyes roll at her comment without so much as a single thought. "Luna, I promise you, I didn't have sex with your brother." Saying it out loud is awkward enough. Saying it to the man I'm being proclaimed to have intercourses with little sister is a thousand times worse. For some reason, this family is determined that the oldest and I are going to become one. Me, a Queen? It doesn't sound possible inside my own head. "Now, if you want something to do, go press the buzzer on the wall. Apparently someone will bring us food." It was like she got poked in the rear. Luna's entire body springs from the bed in a swift motion as she races to hit the button. More than once, her finger pounds the small black button located above her brothers light switch. A loud beep fills the room whenever her finger makes contact. My laughter is loud enough to cover the obnoxious sound. Someone is quite eager to eat something.

We both flop back down onto the bed, our laughter echoing off of the walls. Cerin's room may be huge, but because it's so empty, any noise we make bounces right back. For a second time this morning, the door opens. A frantic looking man comes rushing in and over to the bed. He bows lowly as Luna and I continue to laugh. She may be used to this obscene gesture but I'm not. For me this is way too formal. I'm not a Princess. When he stands back straight, he motions to the door. Five more people come rushing inside the room. Each one has a humongous tray of food in their hands and an equally panicked look on their face. My jaw drops. That's a lot of food.