Chapter 17

I jump like a scared poodle. Quickly, I maneuver myself to hide behind the lady. The Queen. Cerin's face cracks into a small smile, but the puzzlement is still clear in his eyes. Stupid King and being happy I'm scared. Hmph.

"You were invited here, were you not?" The Queen speaks up, her question directed to me. Her voice drips honor and royalty. I turn back to Cerin, watching him nod his head slowly. I mimic his action, the movement noticeable since I'm pressed against her back. "All people invited into a location are considered guests. Guests are typically served a meal. The rules of common courtesy do not change just because we're in a location notorious for evil." I smile gently at the slight sass lacing her tone. Cerin nods his head once more, being the poster son, agreeing with the words coming from his mother's mouth. "Come with me, honey! We need to get you cleaned up." I can practically hear the smile on her face and the sparkle in her eyes. Her excitement is plain as day.

Cerin's smile is light but his agitation is clear. Like the child I am, I poke my tongue out at him. Despite how badly I do not want to go dinner, I can't help but be happy that he's frustrated. His inner child pops out as he sticks his tongue out right back at me. Just to my happiness, his mom smacks his shoulder. Hard.

Her voice rings with anger. "Cerin Lucias Malcolm Asmodeus! You do not intimidate or misbehave in front of our guest! I thought I raised you better than this." A giggle escapes me as I watch the big, strong King lower his head like a scolded puppy. Cerin snaps his head back up and his eyes meet mine. A glare closes in on me and for the first time, I notice the color of his eyes.

The whole time he has been out in the hallway with us, I was more focused on escaping. I wasn't directing my attention to his eye color. But now? Now I notice that his eyes glow like ones I've seen before, ones I still see everytime I close my own. Now I notice that his eyes glow like the color of my favorite flowers, the same flowers in a vase in my room. Now I notice that his eyes are red. Bright, burning, red.

A gasp leaves my lips. Shock courses through my entire body like a tsunami. And, yet, despite the fact that his eyes glow like Luke's, my pride refuses to allow me to show my shock. Instead, as his mother and I walk away from the hallway, I shoot Cerin a look. One that includes my tongue being out.

~

"Well, honey, tell me about yourself." The Queen has herself latched on to my arm like a schoolgirl looking for drama. Her voice rings in my head, bringing memories back with it. Jocelyn and I walking down the hall talking about our crush. Cole supporting me through a panic attack. My mom and I walking down the grass for homecoming pictures. The tears pool behind my eyes instantly. "Honey?" Through the haze in my head, the Queen's concerned voice crawls through. "Are you okay?" I can feel her hands on my face, finally released from my arm. Warmth spreads throughout me fast. The haze starts to melt, as if there was a fire in my skull.

It takes force but I manage to shake myself free from the hold my memories had on my head. I can still feel the Queen's warm hands pressed on my cheeks. The heat from her grasp is still spreading through me.

Gently, I place my hands over hers. A singular tear slips out as I smile. "I'm okay now. Thank you." There's a strange raspy aspect to my voice. "I just miss my family. A lot." The smile on my face turns sad, but I build my walls back up. I am not letting this family affect me. More than anything, I need to find a way home. A way back into my normal life. The walls in my head build up piece by piece. I hide my emotions with a mask that was perfected years ago. A lifeless color turns my bright eyes dull. The sad smile on my face is quickly replaced by one that screams positivity. Lastly, my voice hardens into one that could have the King bowing at my feet. "Let's go get ready for this dinner."

Motherly concern floods the Queen's face, but I refuse to acknowledge it. Instead, I drag her along behind me and loop my arm through her own. She pulls a smile to her face as well. I can tell that my act isn't convincing her all that well, but I can also tell that she has no desire to call me upon it. "So we're going to meet my daughter in her bedroom. She's going to help us find a suitable gown for you to wear tonight." Her eyes light up at the mention of dresses and I can hear the excitement seep back into her voice. "I think you'll like Luna." There's a hint of sadness underneath the pride in her voice.

I allow a genuine smile to tug at my lips. "If she's anything like you, I think I will love her."

The Queen's face lights up brighter than anyone else's I've ever seen before. "Well I can tell you already that she is going to be overjoyed to have a second young lady in the castle. It gets very stifling in here when you're the only girl." Sadness wipes her face once again, but is replaced with a smile when she continues speaking. "Of course, her brothers all take wonderful care of her and do provide her with good company."

"Brothers?" Plural?

A ginormous smile shows off all of her pearly, white teeth. "Yes! Cerin is the oldest at twenty-one, but Alessio and Zaide are fourteen. Luna is in the middle at eighteen, just like you! The twins and Luna all have the same father while Cerin has a different one." There is a pride hidden in her smile. "I know that Cerin may have failed to make the best first impression, but he is actually a wonderful person. Just take time to know him before you block him out as well."