Seventy Seven Percent - Excerpt

A 77% is not an F. In case you didn't know, it's a C, and C means average.

No, I don't have straight A's, but you've never seen an F or a D on that report card, have you? No, you haven't.

Okay, fine, I can't get 100% on every test I take, but I can get 100% on art projects and music assignments that are for classes you think are completely worthless.

I've written stories and excerpts that had made people cry, I have support on my writing from all of these amazing people online. And here's why I bring that up: they appreciate what I can do. I can write and dance and probably paint a few watercolor paintings if you'd like something to hang on one of the walls in your dining room.

Also, you have no idea about the first thing to do with anything ballet related, still you choose to critique my every move. You couldn't tell a jete from a frappè if it hit you in the face, so it isn't your place to state your "correct opinions" on my variation(s).

So go ahead, tell me I'm being overdramatic, go ahead, make me visibly upset, then ask me why I'm crying. Go ahead.

But before you do, remember who did your favorite daughter's hair and makeup every homecoming and prom because you're not skilled in that area. Remember who hand sewed every button that fell off your coat, and remember who planned your whole wardrobe for week trip with your girlfriends. And remember that that was me. Remember that I did all of that.

I mean, from the minute we met, you labeled me and we hadn't even spoken.

And guess what, I'm going to make it in this world, and maybe you treat me like this because you know you're wrong and that you can't take it all back.

Maybe.

And maybe I'm not a perfect school student, but guess what? I'm not a student. I'm an artist. Get used to it because I'm a lot more than you ever made me our to be.