social media books

In case you didn't know, I have three social media books. You probably do, since they're the only ones people actually read *cough* go read wormy 's rant on hypocrites *cough*. If you're utterly confused and don't know what a social media book is, let me explain;

Well, it's pretty simple to be honest it's just what the name suggests. It's when authors write books that are based on social media platforms such as Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter and such. Instagram is by far the most popular I think. They're quite popular in the Harry Potter fandom, as people love to share pictures that they found and thought that related to a certain HP character. These stories can be ocXcharacter ones, with plot and drama just like any other book, or just simply the original characters with no major background and literally just very aesthetic pictures.

I, like mentioned before, have three social media books published. The first is new gen, that focuses on Scorpius' twin sister (basic ik) and her building relationship with James Sirius. The second is golden era and just has two cute, little, irrelevant OCs with no major plot. The third, and final, one is marauders era with no OCs nor plot whatsoever, just 'edgy' pictures I found.

I am actually writing another sm book, just because it's fun tbh I don't think I'll publish it. It's a bunch of social media platforms, it's an AU so there's no magic involved and it's a v photography loving Dennis Creevey x OC.

Moving on to the purpose of this rant, there is a lot of hate on Wattpad for social media books. Nice people suggest that they should maybe have their own category, or something like then. And then fucking dicks think it's fun to leave hate on SM books. (examples from some SM books I love to read; "this isn't even a book lmao", "he worst type of fanfiction there is tbh" and my favourite "lol the author is probs 12")

I understand that SM books differ from 'normal' Wattpad books. They're not always written in full, wordy chapters(note the 'always' bc some lovely authors do include IRL chapters), they generally have much shorter chapters than other types of fanfiction and are literally based on pictures. BUT that does not mean that they shouldn't be credited as what they are, books.

It's literally like saying that the illustrated HP books aren't books because they have tons of pictures. Or, differently, that clutches don't serve the same purpose as a handbag because they're smaller and only used for certain occasions.

People put work into these books, like a lot of work. Do you know how hard it is to find the PERFECT picture to use (note that the picture has to be a right size, fit in with your character's theme if they have one, appropriate for the scenario, if its a picture of the character it has to look somewhat similar to previous ones you've posted and so on), and then make a witty caption for it AND THEN come up with comments AND make sure to keep using different characters so the readers don't yell at you for leaving people out. Like damn, I only managed to stay 'funny' throughout like 5 chapters and then my books turned to trash.

Also, fuck "you're probably 12". I mean, it's my go to insult but that doesn't mean it's right to use. Like yeah, whatever maybe they are 12 (though i consider 12 to be an innocent baby age bc it's younger than me but ik it's not). But you know what, they're a tweleve year old who is able to keep a consistent, funny story line throughout their whole book while only using PICTURES. And you are any better than them because what? You've just turned thirteen so you're using the "12" insult? Or worst, are you a 60 year old writing Noah Schnapp smuts and commenting "daddy" on Finn Wolfhard's instagram (though he's fucking said how much he doesn't like it and how uncomfortable they make him) in your spare time?

 And you are any better than them because what? You've just turned thirteen so you're using the "12" insult? Or worst, are you a 60 year old writing Noah Schnapp smuts and commenting "daddy" on Finn Wolfhard's instagram (though he's fucking said h...

I think with those types of stories out there (but do what u want dude i mean who am i to judge I'm just a v salty teen with v salty opinions), we can learn to appreciate the work authors put into social media stories.

ALSO SORRY IF IM EXTRA SALTY, MOCK WEEK 1 IS ALMOST OVER AND I HAVE ONLY 7 EXAMS LEFT AND IM STRESSED AS FUCK SOMEONE PLEASE BRING ME TEA AND HELP ME SLEEP OR REVISE EITHER ONE IDC THANKS XOXO

these gifs aren't the same size and i don't have time to fix them goodbye cruel world i hate life.