31) The One Where There's Nothing

The room was dark. The curtains were pulled tightly shut. The door was closed. Even the crack at the bottom was hidden by sweaters.

There were clothes covering the threadbare floor, with boxes stacked up along one side. Even the bed was a mess. Just a tangle of white pillows and white sheets on the greying mattress.

The only sign of life in the room was the single heart beating right in the middle of the bed. The slow rise and fall of the chest that protected it. Surrounded by tight porcelain skin. A mess of brown hair. A cluster of fragile bones.

The whole scene seemed draped in a shadow of grey. It stood out compared to the rest of the colourful house. But the tiny box room was left. Forgotten. Just like its inhabitant.

It belonged to Fat Amy. This was the house that she had lived in with Bumped. It had been their base, as they traveled round a lot. Mostly it was Amy's. In their on-again-off-again relationship, Bumper often wasn't there. The box room was where Amy stored his belongings when they were off-again. For that reason, it was left dusty and unused.

Until the night of the bar riff off.

Watching Chloe walk out hurt Beca more than anyone could have predicted.

As the door swung shut, there was a suffocating moment of silence.

And then Beca screamed.

As the scream tore through her, she clutched her stomach. Almost an attempt to hold herself together. But it didn't help. She dropped to the ground like a sack of potatoes. And there she stayed.

Her eyes remained wide. Tears still seeped out them. Her mouth was slightly open; a silent, continuous scream. But she was unresponsive. Her worse nightmares had come true. And Beca's broken little mind didn't know how to come with that. Not anymore.

Nothing else could get through the pain. Not the cries from the other shocked Bellas. Not Fat Amy's urgent jabbering. Not Aubrey's clammy hand grasping her own frozen one. Beca ignored it all.

Fat Amy eventually scooped Beca up, into her arms, and cradled her as she rushed out of the bar. Aubrey followed anxiously behind, gesturing for other girls to stay.

"Is she okay?" She asked worriedly, catching up to Fat Amy.

"She just gets like this..." Amy mumbled. "Can you get the door?" She gestured to her car door. Aubrey obliged, helping Amy settle a mute Beca in.

"What do you mean 'gets like this'? Gets like what exactly?"

"This! The whole meltdown thing," Amy said exhaustedly. "I wasn't with her very long, but just me being there almost broke her. Talking about what happened eight years ago with Chloe...she ended up in hospital, Aubrey. I've never seen her like that. But now..."

She trailed off, unable to bare talking about this new Beca. This broken Beca. Tears were in Aubrey's eyes. Sure, Beca had briefly told her what happened that day Jesse bumped into her. Sure, Beca had seemed upset. But Aubrey had no idea she was this bad. Nobody did.

"And we thought Chloe was the one doing worse..." She said.

"But that's thing, she's just as bad!" Amy protested. "We're just used to broken Chloe, because she's been here this whole time! If she'd have disappeared like Beca, there's no way you'd be okay with how she is now. She's not Chloe anymore, Aubrey! And Beca isn't Beca!"

She slammed the car door shut, pulling Aubrey away from the vehicle. Beca didn't even blink.

"We have to fix this," she said softly.