Chapter 1 - The Soulmate Theory

June Wolez

I opened my curtains and looked out the window to check the weather. It was a dreary rainy day—perfect to start a hot-sizzling romance.

Oh, I wish...

I let out a wistful sigh.

Whenever there was rainfall, I only realized how single I was.

During this type of depressing weather, I wished I had a boyfriend with whom I could spread my arms and dance in the rain, hold hands on the sidewalk, laugh at the silliest things like there was no tomorrow, and last but not the least, get cozy and cuddle by the window—at least that was how it was shown in the movies.

I was sitting on the blue bean bag near the large window of my room. While admiring the gray sky and heavy droplets of rain, I didn't realize when sleep took over me.

I was making my way towards the ballroom, running down the staircase in a red evening gown.

A man in a tux was standing with a bouquet of red roses in his hand. His face wasn't clear, but the confident smile on his lips was visible.

"Who are you?" I asked, a little hesitant.

"I am the person for whom you have been waiting for, June," he said, his voice clear, unhesitant, and masculine. "You have waited for so long. But not anymore. Since you said you would start dating only after you turned twenty-three, here I am. I waited for this day, for you. I'm glad the wait's over now."

So I wasn't the fifteen years old June anymore. Hearing his words, it seemed like I had just turned twenty-three.

"Who are you?" I asked once again.

"I am your soulmate, June Wolez. And today, I am here just to ask this question." He forwarded the bouquet to me. "Will you date me?"

Huh? What kind of proposal is this? He didn't tell me whether he liked me or not. All he said was that he was my soulmate and asked whether I would date him. How should I reply to this? Should I even reply to him? Who was he? What was his name? What did he look like? Why was I unable to see him?

My eyes jolted open when I felt the water sprinkle on my face. I sat up straight on the bean bag and looked at the person standing on my left side, to find her glaring at me.

"June, just because you are a straight-A student doesn't mean that your teacher won't give you detention or even punish you with double homework for being late," rebuked Camilla Feularr, my maternal aunt.

"But Aunt, I did wake up on time, but—" I tried to defend, only to get interrupted by her.

"But you dozed off again and disappeared into your dreamland, didn't you?"

I pouted and slightly nodded my head.

Camilla shook her head with a smile. It wasn't the first time, after all. This was almost my everyday routine. I would wake up at five-thirty, do some cardio and yoga for an hour, take a shower, admire the weather, and then doze off on the bean bag for about fifteen minutes.

"Come down from breakfast. I will drop you off on the way to my work," she informed me. She was a news reporter and loved doing her work. She would do her work twenty-four hours a day if the labor laws weren't even enforced in our country.

Since I was already ready in a purple top and blue tight jeans but my black hair was still messy, I replied, "Give me five minutes to fix my hair."

"Do it in the car. Come now," she said sternly and left the room.