Chapter 17 - Interesting Discovery

June Wolez

After my talk with Joshua, I went to visit Michael in the hospital. Joshua said he would come at night, so I was free to go see Michael. I was giddy at the thought of Michael becoming happy once again. He truly deserved it.

"Hey, Mike, 'sup?" I greeted with a bright smile with flowers in my hand.

"Hey, Junes," Michael greeted, wearing a blue hospital gown and half-lying on the hospital bed. "Aww, you brought me flowers. You're the sweetest, Junes."

I chuckled and handed him the bouquet of mixed-colored roses. "You are welcome. How are you feeling now?"

"Better. The doctor said that I need to stay in the hospital for five more days, then I'll be free to go. Don't miss me too much at school meanwhile," he said with a wink.

"Aww, but I'll still miss you, especially in Algebra class."

"I tell you, if there's one thing I definitely won't miss from school, that is the Algebra class," he said with a chuckle, then looked at the prescription. "You know, the doctor here is really hot," he said mischievously.

"Mike, don't go after other guys," I blurted out.

"Why not?" he asked in confusion.

Oh, no, I can't tell him about Josh. That will ruin the surprise.

"Sorry, I meant to say, older guys, not other guys. As hot as the doctors are, they have to be way older than us, even the interns," I corrected myself.

He hummed as if everything I said made sense. "True. I wouldn't want him to get convicted for dating a minor."

"Anyway," I cleared my throat to divert the topic and said, "So what happened last night?"

Michael sighed and leaned his head on the pillow. "After I revealed to Dad my preference, we had a heated argument. I told him about Josh as well, and he got even madder about me lying that day. Dad told me to stay away from the house until I changed my mind, so I sulked at the park until late at night, then I went back to Troy's house. One second I was opening the gate of the house; the next second, I was being beaten by a few boys indiscriminately. I didn't even get the chance to fight back. Thank goodness, someone called for help, otherwise, I might have died."

I couldn't believe someone would do that to Michael. He could never even hurt anyone intentionally.

I was about to open my mouth when he spoke up again, "Mysteriel says it's Josh and his friends who assaulted me."

"Do you believe that as well?"

Michael shook his head with a sad smile. "Josh may hate me now, but he would never do that to me. I know him. As tough as he seems, he can't even think of hurting a fly." Heaven might have really paired them up.

"And he punched you in the face," I tried to test the waters.

"Because I very well deserved it, rather that punch was long overdue."

"If you knew that, why did you punch back?" I asked.

"Because I'm an idiot and I need to learn to control my temper."

I sighed, then wrapped my arms lightly around him to not hurt his injuries, and for the first time since I have known him, my heartbeat didn't fasten more than usual for him. "Don't worry. You will be with the one with whom you are meant to be."

Even if Michael wasn't my soulmate, I wished with all my heart and soul for him to be with his one.

###