Chapter 33 - Brighter Future

June Wolez

It was the day before my birthday, and I was like a walking zombie. There were bags underneath my eyes, and my hair was a mess. I had it in a messy bun, and I don't mean the cute messy bun. It was actually messy. Like a bird's nest blown away from a storm. Everyone who asked why I looked so dead, I lied that it was just a bad hair day. No one knew the truth, except Ella.

"Summer vacation is finally tomorrow!" Michael exclaimed happily, and I tried to smile at his enthusiasm. "Two months of pure peace."

"And a truckload of homework," Neil added.

We were all walking toward the parking lot after the school was out and our results were handed over.

Results...

I wasn't very pleased to know that I came second this time. Despite trying my best to catch up on my studies, I couldn't do as well as usual. Michael didn't come first, either. It was Neil. He had always been coming third until now, only to swoop in the first place this time. I was happy for him, but for me? I wanted to drown myself in a tank of water.

No, wait, I didn't need to go through the effort of killing myself. Camilla would do the honor herself when she came for the parents-teachers meeting tomorrow.

"Gosh, I wish we all could go over to your house at midnight to surprise you, June," Violet grumbled.

"Hey, why don't we all do a sleepover at Junes' place tonight?" Ella suggested, and I almost perked up until I saw the matching disappointed look on Violet and Neil's faces.

"I'm sorry, I can't. I promised my dad that I would go to his stupid business party, and there's no way I'm getting out of that hellhole before midnight," Violet said guiltily.

"I took the night shift for someone else tonight at my part-time job, so there's no one else who can substitute for me, June. I'm so sorry," Neil added.

I put on an understanding smile and said with a dismissive wave, "Hey, no worries. I understand. You guys didn't know."

Michael wrapped his arm around my shoulder and said confidently, "Even if none of you are coming for the sleepover, I'm going. There's no way I won't be there for my Junes the moment she steps into her sweet sixteens."

Little did he know he was going to eat his words the very next moment.

"Mike!" Joshua came running, looking frantic with his bloodshot eyes.

Michael immediately pulled away from me and ran to his boyfriend. "What happened, love?"

"Dad... Dad just had an accident."

"Oh, my God, when? How?" Michael asked, and we all gasped.

"I don't know. Mom didn't say too much. She asked me to come to the hospital directly, and I just... I don't know what to do, Mike. What if something happens to Dad? I'm the eldest son, I don't know—"

"Hey, hey, Josh, calm down. Don't think about such things right now. Let's get you to the hospital first and grasp the situation, then we can think about other stuff. And don't worry, your dad is going to be fine. Dave is really stubborn, you know?" Michael consoled Joshua, and he nodded, then Michael turned to us and said, "I'm taking Josh to the hospital. Bye, guys." With that, they were gone.

Michael didn't even turn back once.

I knew it wasn't about me, that his boyfriend needed him more than me... but I couldn't help but feel my heart sink.