Chapter 3 - Mysteriel

June Wolez

A new shiny—well, make that a drizzling day, I thought while looking out of the windshield.

I was checking myself in the side view mirror in my yellow top and denim shorts when Camilla broke the silence when we were stuck in traffic, "I don't have to drive you to school after a month or so, do I?"

"Why not?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows in her direction. "Are you going somewhere else for your work, Aunt?"

"No," she quickly replied. "But you will get your license once you turn sixteen, right?"

My mouth formed into an 'o' shape. "We will see." To be honest, I was really excited to learn to drive; after that, I wouldn't have to rely on anyone else to get me somewhere. While I did hope that Michael would come to drive me to school, it was fun with Camilla, as this was the only time we could spend together. The rest of the time, she was busy with work, after all.

"Are you nervous about the Algebra test today?" she asked me. When I hesitantly nodded my head, she further said, "As far as I know my June, she is always prepared for a test."

I smiled at her words. "I am prepared, Aunt, but sometimes things go in such a way that the preparation seems futile."

"Think about the bright side, June. At least you will learn a lesson from that. Everything that happens in life has a lesson hidden in it. You just need to understand. That's how you will grow, honey."

"You do have a point," I said to her. "I will do my best."

###

"Let's order some pizza?" Ella asked me while we were sitting in the cafeteria.

"Where will you get pizza here?" I asked, slightly confused.

"There's a nice restaurant nearby, so we can go there and have lunch instead of eating here in the cafeteria."

Immediately, I shook my head. "Aunt strictly warned me to never go anywhere during school hours."

"But it's lunchtime," she tried to reason out.

"Still, it's school time," I said sternly.

Ella sighed as we got up and took our lunch. Once we were seated again, I saw Ella grinning at her phone. I got curious as to what put that goofy look on her face, so I sneaked a peek at her phone.

"What is that?" I asked her, confused.

"Oh! It's a dating app called 'Connected'. Haven't you heard of it? It's pretty popular at school," she responded excitedly. "It's a trend recently."

"No, I've never heard of it. What does this app do?"

"It's pretty simple. You download the app, answer some questions, and then, they help you find your soulmate," Ella explained to me.

I rolled my eyes. "That's crap."

"But why? Don't you think finding your partner online is pretty cool?"

"It is kinda, but I don't know if I would go look for my partner in an app," I said and shrugged.

"But you wanted to find your soulmate," she reminded me while pouting.

"I said the universe will give me a sign when I find my soulmate, Els. There's no rush to find my soulmate."

"Still, Junes, don't be so uptight. You should give it a try. I am sending you the link, okay?" When I tried to protest, she further added, "Just for fun, please."