Chapter 5 - Birthday Party

June Wolez

Just when I thought of focusing only on Michael, Methane appeared in our school. It was like the universe was playing dirty games with me.

"Oh, my God, how come you never mentioned you were joining my school?" I gasped in surprise without caring about the small crowd around us.

Methane seemed equally surprised before he composed himself and replied, "How was I supposed to know you went to Blue Falls?"

I opened my mouth, but nothing came out as a logical reply, so I settled for, "Well, good point."

He just shook his head and continued to put his things in the locker, which was only separated by Ella's locker from mine.

Wow, would I get to see this handsome face every time I would come to my locker after the period bell? I would always be in a happy mood, in that case.

I instantly slapped myself internally.

Focus on Mike, June!

"You know the new kid, Junes?" Ella whispered in my ear from behind, and I nodded faintly.

Just then, the homeroom bell rang, making all of our eyes widen. The crowd immediately dispersed to get to their classrooms on time. Surprisingly, Methane was also in our class.

Ella and I grabbed our seats at the first bench, which was always left empty for us. Methane sat on the last bench which was the only other empty seat.

Soon, our new homeroom teacher came. She seemed to be in her early forties with her jet black hair punched neatly into a bun. Her smile reminded me of—

Wait, didn't Mysteriel say the new English teacher was the new student's mother? Which meant—

"Hello, class. I'm your new homeroom and English teacher, Ruby Jeff," she introduced herself, and I realized with dawning horror that one of my new crushes' mothers was my teacher.

###

I didn't get a chance to talk to Methane at all after the Homeroom period ended. I wanted to cancel our date this weekend. He was like a ghost; I didn't even see him in the locker area.

"Hey, what's got you so hot and bothered?" Michael nudged me teasingly during lunch when I zoned out of a conversation with Violet and Neil.

I almost blushed because his words were partially true. "Nothing. What are you doing here, anyway?"

Michael had another male best friend with whom he always sat in the cafeteria. He mostly hung around with Joshua Nicklaus, the captain of our football team. He was a junior. I was almost jealous. I wished I could be that close to Michael. Although I hoped that would change once Michael confessed to me and we started going out.

Michael shrugged. "Joshua is busy."

I arched an eyebrow at the name. He always called him 'Josh.' "Are you having a fight with Joshua?" I questioned in concern.

"No. He's just busy," he said, his eyes focused on the historical documentary he was watching on his phone. He was a die-hard fan of history. He may have a hard time getting math through his head, but he never once forgot any of the years of the historical event. He sometimes did bore me with his geeky talks, but I liked hearing them because I loved his voice and staring at the gleaming excitement on his face. His gray eyes would literally be sparkling whenever he was watching documentaries, but right now, his eyes were dull and upset.