Chapter 4 - A New Student?

Chapter 4 – A New Student?

June Wolez

"So are you new in town?" I asked Methane as we both started walking toward the cash counter to pay the bill.

While I had one book in hand, he had many. They were all mostly textbooks. He seemed to be done shopping by now, though.

Methane nodded, his gaze down.

"Where did you move around here?" I inquired, then realized how that had to sound, so I corrected, "I only mean to find out if you are one of my neighbors, so I swear I'm not a stalker."

His lips quirked up a little as he responded, "It's just across the street."

My mouth formed into an 'O'. "So our houses aren't that close, huh," I mumbled.

It would have been nice having another hot neighbor—

I shook off those thoughts. My current focus should be on Michael and Troy. I needed to move on from them first. I didn't need a third person to add to the list.

"How long ago did you move in here? I bet it must be hard adjusting to your new school in the middle of the semester," I said.

"I can't say since I haven't been to the school yet. Been busy with the move itself. Only got here yesterday," Methane replied.

We reached the cash counter. He motioned for me to go first since I had only one book.

"Yes, it must be tough." I knew I shouldn't do it, I shouldn't complicate things more than it already was, but— "Maybe we can get some coffee sometime after you are settled into your new house." He was too hot to resist asking out. I wanted to try out my luck as the high chances were I would be heartbroken by Michael and Troy.

I really, really wanted a boyfriend. It was really embarrassing whenever someone asked me what my first kiss or boyfriend was like. That's why I was now asking out this stranger on a date. There was no harm, right?

"That sounds great," he answered stiffly.

I smiled at him, then received the receipt and my packaged book from the cashier. I moved away to let him ahead in the line. "So I'll see you then?"

"How will I contact you, though?" he asked, genuinely curious, and I almost slapped myself in the head. God, he must think I was so dumb!

"Oh, right, I will give you my Pictologs ID," I replied and took out a small notepad from my backpack to write down my ID. I handed it to him and half-turned around to say, "Bye. See you someday!" With that, I rushed out of the book store and started making my way home on foot.

Wow, way to impress a boy by being forgetful.

Forget it, June. He is never going to contact you—

My phone pinged with an incoming text in Pictologs. I pulled it out to find a text from someone named Methane, and my heart skipped a beat at the simple 'Hi.'

Instead of first replying to his text, I walked into the park outside my neighborhood and sat down on a swing before opening up his profile.

The account was fairly new, given the low number of followers and zero followings. There were only two recent photos.

But damn, did he look hot in them.

How could someone even look so handsome without smiling?

While I liked Troy's wholehearted smile and Michael's cheeky grin the most, how could I like someone whose smile I had yet to see?