Chapter 14 - Face It

June Wolez

I was sitting on the couch of the porch of my house, waiting for Michael to come. I had been calling him ever since I saw Mysteriel's latest post, but his phone was switched off. I was worried about him.

I was doing homework to keep myself occupied. It was around nine when Ella returned the video call from three hours ago.

"Els, what the hell happened?" I burst out, "And where the hell have you been until now?"

"I fell asleep, Junes. Sorry," she mumbled apologetically.

"Anyway, tell me about Mike. What happened? Did he go to school today?" I questioned instantly.

"Yep, he did, but he left in lunch break after Joshua punched him in the face."

"What the hell? Why did he punch Mike?" I exclaimed in astonishment.

"I don't know. Maybe Joshua blames Michael now that they are forced out of the closet," she said, then grinned. "Girl, you missed the fight."

"Fight? Did Mike hit back?"

Please say no.

"Oh, yeah, he did. He punched Joshua right back, then stormed out of campus. It was so climatic!" Ella narrated excitedly.

"Els, stop taking so much fun out of this, okay? This is not a freaking joke! Mike can get suspended for this!" I knew that Ella loved gossip and drama way too much, but sometimes, it got on my nerves. Not everything was fun. People getting hurt was not fun! Mysteriel exposing them was not okay!

Ella stopped grinning and pulled over a guilty look. "Sorry, Junes. I forgot."

I let out an angry sigh. "Anyway, so that's all you know?"

She contemplated for a moment before nodding firmly. "Yep, I don't know any details. Maybe we will get to know through Mysteriel. You will probably even get to see their fight's video."

I glared at her. "Don't mention that person as if he's doing us some favors by revealing all these. He's just making more mess of this. If Mysteriel recorded that fight and he posts that, Mike and Joshua both will get suspended. Things will just worsen."

She hummed. "Anyway, what are you up to?"

"Just doing homework on the porch while waiting for Mike," I said, and just then, I saw a brunette walking briskly on the sidewalk underneath the bright street lights. "Looks like Mike is back. I will talk to you later, Els."

I hung up the call and put my note copy down to run over to Michael.

"Where the hell were you?" I exclaimed, and Michael jumped a little in fright.

"Junes, you scared me!" He placed a hand over his heart and heaved a relieved sigh, then looked over at the Brian house. "Why are all the lights off in Troy's house? Are they out for a family dinner or something? Are they enjoying good food without me, even after Sara said I was like a second son to her?" He pouted.

I shook my head, taking Michael in to check if he was alright. He had a light bruise on the corner of his lips; other than that, he seemed fine; he was even joking. "They went to Montrose for, um, some work. They won't be back until the weekend."

"What? So where will I stay for the whole week?" he asked, and I dangled the house key in front of him. "And what about food?"

"You can come over to my place to eat."

"That will be so weird if I come just to eat," he pointed out, and I tried not to stare at his lips. Underneath the streetlights, his dark brown hair seemed lighter in shade and it made him look all the more handsome, but I had to control myself. I had to control my crush on him. He and I were not meant to be, after all.