Chapter 25 - Farewell

June Wolez

Sitting in the interrogation room was nerve-wracking.

At first, I was interrogated about everything I knew about Methane. It turned out that half of the things he said to me were lies. In fact, his father wasn't even dead. He divorced his mom and gave her a good share of his property. I thought I couldn't get more surprised, but Methane managed to prove me wrong.

Then, the officer who sat in front of us began by stating Methane's offenses—stalking, trespassing, ambushing other teenagers, and attempted rape. It turned out to be that Methane was expelled from his previous high school because of the same reasons. He was never innocent, to begin with. The first time he was given a chance for some reason—which I was assuming by bribing the previous girl—but it seemed like he didn't learn his lesson yet. But when I learned that he tried to throw acid on the girl, I was horrified.

Would Methane have thrown acid at me as well? The thought was absolutely terrifying. I could almost feel the burns from the acid burning my skin.

I tightly shut my eyes while trying to console myself with the fact that he would definitely land up in a juvenile detention center this time because there was just way too much evidence. A person like that was a threat to all the girls in the world. Who knew who he would catch feelings for and make that girl's life hell?

A knock on the door caused everyone to avert our attention to the newly arrived officer whom I knew very well. The other officers stood up since Dalton was their senior officer. He looked pissed. I noticed Michael stiffening up beside me. Despite myself shaking, I clutched Michael's hand and gave it a squeeze.

"I heard you caught the boy who assaulted my kid. Where is he?" Dalton asked the interrogating officer.

"Yes, sir. He is in the lockup right now."

"Bring him here. Let's meet the boy who has the guts to hurt my son," Dalton ordered, plopping on the chair that was brought for him.

I suppressed a smile that wanted to spread on my face. I whispered to Michael, "See, he cares about you so much."

Michael didn't respond to that, rather he asked, "The boy who hurt me? Weren't there five boys who attacked me?"

"I have heard they were sent by Methane Jeff. He hired them with a hefty amount of money," Dalton said.

Michael was surprised by the newfound information. He had no idea it was Methane. All this time he had been wrecking his head for his assaulter, yet he found no suspects, and now, it turned out to be his best friend's boyfriend. Ex-boyfriend.

"Oh, I haven't asked. June, are you comfortable with Methane being brought here? Some victims have trauma about—"

I cut Dalton off and said firmly, "No, it's fine. I would like to meet him." And like to get my closure. I wasn't going to be scared off.

Be strong, June. You got this.

I didn't know for how long I was holding my breath until the officers brought Methane and his mother to the interrogation room.

I struggled between wanting and not wanting to look at the handsome face I had come to like so much. I finally decided on the former. I raised my gaze to find that Methane's gaze was downwards and Mrs. Jeff begging me through her eyes.

"You little shit, you hired those men to beat me up? What have I ever done to you?" Michael shouted, but I grabbed his forearm and pulled him to sit again, continuously telling him to calm down and be conscious of his healing injuries.