Chapter 9 - Crush Exposed

June Wolez

It was early Saturday morning, and from last night, I had been trying to contact Michael, but he wasn't receiving his calls or texts. I had been calling him non-stop after my aunt returned my phone.

I was worried sick now.

I wanted to go to Michael's house, but Camilla forbade me to go out. She said she would ground me for a year if she found out I disobeyed her.

I was sitting on the beanbag near my big window, watching Troy practice basketball on his court. On weekends, he tended to practice in the morning, and I loved watching him from here with a cup of coffee in my hand.

But today, I couldn't keep my eyes focused on Troy. It kept wandering back to Michael. Before everything else, he was one of my best friends. I couldn't let any harm come his way.

I grabbed my phone and purse before heading down. I took a deep breath and steeled my nerves before stepping out of the house.

I walked to Troy's basketball court and asked, "Hey, can you give me a ride?"

Troy instantly stopped playing and shot me an understanding smile as he nodded his head. "Give me a couple of minutes to change," he said and ran back into his house.

I didn't want to ask Troy out of all the people. After all, he did say he liked me, but he was making no effort to pursue me in the romantic area, rather he was helping me with another guy, almost like he was setting me up with Michael.

There was not a hint of jealousy in Troy. Even Methane showed jealousy at my contact with other boys. Troy, on the other hand, just didn't care. Did he even actually like me? Or, was he infatuated with me only and now he was over it?

I was waiting outside his car when I got a text from Methane.

Methane: Hey, what are you up to? Everything good?

I smiled at his concern.

June: No, I'm going over to Mike's place to check up on him

Methane: Do u need a lift?

June: Do you have a car?

Methane: I have my mom's

Shit, I should have known that. Now that I had already asked Troy, I couldn't take it back.

June: Sorry, I already asked someone else

Methane: Troy?

I felt something dark in his typing tone, but that might just be Methane's jealousy. At the moment, I didn't want to think about jealousy and crushes. First and foremost, my friendship came first.

June: Yes

Methane: Do u mind if I tag along? I'm bored at home anyway

June: I'm not going on an adventure. I'm going to Mike's house, and I don't think you need to come

I didn't need all three of my crushes altogether for this thing. Plus, as much as I liked Methane, he didn't care about Michael. Troy, on the other hand, cared about even a stranger, so it made sense for him to be willing to help. But I did appreciate Methane's effort. It was sweet of him.

June: Thank you for the offer, though. I really mean it

I didn't wait for a reply as Troy came out of his house, dressed in a pair of faded jeans and a casual dark green shirt. He walked to my side and unlocked the door for me. I was about to get in, but he himself opened the door for me.