Chapter 15 - Breaking In

June Wolez

I was still standing in the hallway after I punched the wall when someone suddenly touched my hand, and I flinched at the sight of the familiar black-haired boy.

"Are you okay?" Methane asked me, caressing my bruised knuckle.

"No, I'm pissed. I want to punch somebody," I spat out, forming my fists into a ball, but when I looked up at his face, my anger vanished. He looked like a sad puppy. Maybe my words were too harsh for him. "I'm sorry," I whispered.

He just shook his head and smiled slightly at me. "Let's go to the nurse's office to get this bandaged." Now that he mentioned it, my knuckles did hurt like a bitch.

I nodded and let him guide me to the nurse's office. He was holding my hand, and all I could do was stare at our entwined hands. His hand was much bigger than mine. It felt nice.

My chest warmed up when I felt him give my hand a soft squeeze. He really was so caring. He must have seen the drama in the locker area, yet he didn't ask about it. He knew when to give me space.

As we were walking, I realized we were walking for too long. I looked around and found that we were near the physics laboratory.

"Wait, the nurse's office isn't here. It's in the opposite direction, near the biology laboratory," I spoke up, and Methane stopped on his track, making me stop as well.

"I thought you knew that I didn't know the way, so you would guide me. When you didn't say anything, I thought we were going the right way," he mumbled innocently.

We both glanced at each other and burst out laughing.

"God, we have been going around the campus for five minutes just for nothing," I breathed out after I finished laughing.

"Well, I got a nice tour."

"A tour without any guidelines," I chuckled.

We were headed in the right direction, so soon enough, we reached the nurse's office. We greeted the nurse and told her about my bruised knuckle. She wrapped my hand in a bandage, then I turned to Methane to say, "We missed the homeroom period."

"That's fine. I will just tell my mom later," he shrugged.

I hummed when we started making our way to our classroom because after Homeroom was our English class which was taken by his mom. I took out my phone to text Michael if he was fine when Methane said, "Here, eat this."

I looked at the heart-shaped candy in his hand. I looked at him in disbelief.

"My mom is hypoglycemic, that's why I always have candy on me," he said, not meeting my gaze. "You look like you need this to calm down."

Methane looked cute when he was shy. I smiled and took the candy from him. I put my phone back in my jeans pocket and tore open the wrapper to put the candy in my mouth. The strawberry flavor exploded in my mouth. I cringed when I tasted a sour flavor.

"Pfft." I heard someone stifle a laugh. I turned my head towards Methane's direction and found him grinning at me. "You look like an adorable kid."

I pouted.

"Now, you look even cuter." He no longer tried to stifle his laughter, and I discovered myself smiling as my heart danced to the melodious sound of his laughter.

Was I crushing on him harder?

###

At lunchtime, I didn't want to sit at my regular table where Ella, her two minions, Violet, and Neil were sitting. Ella didn't seem to be regretting her actions from this morning. She didn't even try to talk to me after Mysteriel's post.