Chapter 6 - Connected

June Wolez

I couldn't believe what I just heard Troy say.

"You like me?" I uttered after a prolonged silence when I managed to find my voice. My heart was beating too fast in anticipation.

Troy stayed silent for a moment, trying to analyze the situation he was in. He then covered his face with his hands and groaned, "God, I wasn't supposed to say that. I'm so stupid."

My first instinct was to assure him, "No, you are not stupid. You are just drunk." And the truth always comes out when alcohol is involved.

I couldn't believe Troy liked me. The hot neighbor with whom I had basically grown up—my longest crush. He had always been kind to me like he had been to others. I never even entertained the thought that I was someone special to him until he asked me to come to his party. After all, he always seemed so far out of my reach; he was just so perfect all the time. And now...

Oh, my God, I'm so happy I could die!

"June, I'm sorry, but could you just... could you just leave me alone for now?" Troy asked, his voice low and breathy.

What...? This isn't how it's supposed to go.

I composed myself and asked, "Of course, Troy. But are you okay? You don't sound so good to me." I was worried about him. He was acting strange. Shouldn't one just hug or kiss the person they confessed to or want a reply? Rather, he was asking me to leave.

"Yes, I'm fine, June," he said, his head still buried in his hands. "I just need to be alone right now."

I would feel bad for leaving all the mess up to him. "What about cleaning up—"

"June, please!"

I flinched at the sudden raise of his voice.

He immediately seemed to have regretted it as he finally raised his head, his eyes sad and watery. For the first time since I had known him, he seemed to be broken, and I knew it wasn't about me. There was something else going on in his life that he wouldn't talk about. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to yell," he mumbled. "But I'm just... can you please forget what I said?"

What? That he liked me?

My throat closed up, and my stomach lurched. "Y-yes, of-of course." I stood up abruptly before my tears fell. "I hope you feel better, Troy. Goodnight." With that, I walked out of the kitchen, then out of his house.

When I was finally inside my bedroom, I let the tears come out. I had one of my crushes confess to me finally, only to hear him ask me to forget it. I didn't know whether to be happy or sad.

Maybe it was my punishment for having feelings for multiple boys at the same time or for forgetting that Michael was supposed to confess to me.

Without changing out of my clothes, I slumped on the bed on my stomach, still crying with my makeup on. I didn't know how long I was crying until a notification got my attention.

Ella: U haven't checked Connected yet -_-

I was supposed to check it yesterday after getting home, but I forgot to because I was busy chatting with Methane.

June: I'm checking now

Ella's reply came soon.

Ella: How was the party?

I didn't answer that. I would tell her tomorrow at school. For now, I wanted to try this soulmate app named Connected. I was feeling too blue, so why not give this a try?