Chapter 12 - Underneath The Smile

June Wolez

I was on the verge of a panic attack at the thought of Camilla knowing I let Methane in the house when I heard something clattering on the kitchen floor.

"Oh, no, that must be Tom!" Camilla exclaimed in the middle of removing her shoes at the entryway, then dashed to the kitchen, throwing her bag on the couch in the process. Tom was our other neighbor's pet cat, and it was one hell of a troublemaker. I have always hated it for jumping into the kitchen through the window and messing things up. But right now, for the first time, I loved Tom. Tom was a lifesaver.

I hurried to Camilla's bag and grabbed her phone. I blocked Mysteriel on her Pictologs first.

I heard clattering in the kitchen as Camilla cursed indiscriminately at the silver cat. I chewed on my lips as I thought about what to do.

No, no, I can't block Mysteriel, or else, she will notice.

I unblocked Mysteriel and found there was a 'hide' post option on every content, so I pressed that button on the latest post, and it disappeared.

Oh, thank goodness.

I put Camilla's phone in her bag and moved away from the couch, then headed back to my room. When I was on the stairs, I found a text from Methane:

Methane: Thanks for the date. I would love to have a repeat some other time, maybe somewhere outside. I have somewhere I want to take u to next time.

I grinned, feeling butterflies in my belly.

"June? Did you and Ella bring a cake from the bakery?" I heard Camilla holler from downstairs.

I popped my head out of my room and hollered back, "Yes, Aunt!" I had to lie because I obviously couldn't say Methane brought it for me.

"I'm hurt that you didn't save me any!"

I laughed in response and entered my room.

###

The next morning, it was Monday—the worst day of the week. Usually, I had no special problems on Monday, but today, I didn't want to get up from bed.

I didn't want to go to school and face the humiliation that was sure to come from the last three consecutive posts of Mysteriel.

I woke up at five-thirty like usual, but unlike usual, I remained lying in bed, staring at the decorated purple ceiling as I thought over the posts.

A cheater on an exam. Crushing on my best friend. Having a date with the new transferee.

Wow.

I took my phone off the nightstand and entered Pictologs.

I opened up the account with a black background and red blood sputters written with 'you are exposed.' It was Mysteriel's account. I decided to stalk the stalker online.

I saw the familiar biography, which consisted of, 'New Day, New Gossip' and it was true in Mysteriel's case. He never missed a day. Almost every day he updated a post and exposed something. It was weird. How come every single day people were screwing up and getting on camera by Mysteriel? Did he have cameras planted all over the school?

A shiver ran down my spine at the thought of being watched by Mysteriel all the time. That was so creepy.

I saw Mysteriel's last post and gritted my teeth.