Chapter 22 - Missed Confrontation

June Wolez

"I knew it. I always found Methane suspicious," Ella said after I told her the entire story in the car. Camilla couldn't drop me off today, and as Michael was on bed rest, Ella came to pick me up.

"You too, Els?"

"Of course, and please," she reached out and tugged at my pendant, "get that pendant off."

"Why?" I asked, holding the blue pearl in between my fingers.

"Because gifts are a way of his manipulation, don't you see? He got you a Polaroid camera after he learned about Troy's gift, then he got a pendant for getting you mad, instead of apologizing. These types of people are total red flags. Dump him, Junes."

"I need to give him a chance to explain. It might all be a misunderstanding."

"What is a misunderstanding, Junes? You said you saw the footage. You yourself said to me once that a stalker can't have any positive side."

"And you also supported that a stalker is a person who cares for me and only has his eyes on me," I argued.

"Yes, but I didn't understand back then how that would make me feel if you had a stalker, and now I understand that having a stalker isn't all that great."

I huffed and looked out the window, no longer wanting to hear Ella's logic. My heart was aching ever since my confrontation with Troy. I really didn't want Methane to be the one who was behind everything.

Please... Methane, don't break my trust.

###

"You are quiet today," Methane suddenly whispered when Mrs. Jeff turned to the board to scribble some grammar rules.

I flinched at his close voice and glanced at his face which was only inches away from me. I gulped and tried to think of something.

I wanted to talk to him, but not until the end of the day so that we both could sit down and have a long conversation, not in between the rush of classes. That's why I had to be acting normal.

I smiled sweetly at him and tried to brush it off, "Just slept late last night, and you know, I get a little irritable when I don't have my proper sleep." It was true, though.

His eyes darkened at the mention of me sleeping late as he asked, "And what kept you up so late?"

"Was reading a novel." I couldn't say disturbing thoughts kept me up, or else, he would pry more.

"Really?" he asked again, his voice holding an edge that I never really paid attention to before. Was it just me or did he sound like he didn't believe me?

"Yes, why would I be lying?" I questioned.

He narrowed his eyes at me, then replaced that with a smile. "Why are you taking that tone with me, babe?"

Anger fueled inside me. Had I been blind all this time? Was I not seeing that behind his smiles was an effort to hide his condescending words?

"No reason. Like I said, I'm just in an irritable mood." I tried to flash him my sweetest smile which worked on him like a charm.

He took my hand from the table and pulled them down to interlace his fingers with him.

"What are you doing? We are in class," I whispered alarmingly, glancing at Mrs. Jeff.

"Don't worry, it's all cool." He winked at me, then raised our intertwined hands up to his lips to kiss the back of my hand.

"She will see us," I tried again, feeling extremely awkward as some students glanced at us in annoyance.