Merlin's Tale

Merlin and Arthur walked back to the Knights who all relaxed when they saw that niether were angry or hurt. They sat down next to each other so they could see all the knights. Merlin closed his eyes and took a deep breath. "I'm guessing you all have questions but I'm going to just tell you about the whole side of my life that you didn't know about and then let you ask."

He looked around and the knights nodded. "As you all know, I was born in Ealdor. What you don't know was that my father was the last dragon lord." Arthur blinked and looked as if he was about to ask a question but Merlin covered his mouth with his hand and continued.

"I was born with magic, which technically makes me a warlock not a sorcerer. I was able to do magic before I could walk. And living in Ealdor put me at risk because it was so small and people had begun to notice odd things happening throughout the village.

"So my mother wrote to Gaius and asked if I could stay with him. Not only did Gaius know more about magic than she did he also lived in Camelot which would put me in a place with much more people and lower chance to being discovered."

He sighed, "I had to go and mess that up though when I decided to get into and argument with this prat," he flicked Arthur's head, "the very day I got there. And then being the idiot I am saved his life and became his servant. Needless to say Gaius wanted to strangle me for getting myself in such a situation.

Arthur was staring at Merlin as he spoke, "At first I was more than a little annoyed at the situation myself. I honestly was worried I do something and someone would find out. Luckily when Lancelot did find out he didn't breath a word to anyone." All the knights turned to look at Lancelot in surprise and started to ask questions but Merlin held up a hand and the air went still and silent and the knights returned their attention to the story as the spell of silence made it impossible to speak.

"Arthur was constantly getting himself into trouble. Sometimes he didn't even notice. So I began to secretly take on any magical threats that he and those around him couldn't handle. It was difficult especially after Uther started being more vigilant of magic because of Nimueh. It wasn't like I was completely alone though. Gaius helped where he could and I always could call on Lancelot to help. My friend Killagarah was never to far away either so I could ask for his help or advice as well. Even Morgana and Gwen would help me even if they were unaware of my magic or why I did somethings."

He looked down slightly, "Even with my magic there were somethings that I couldn't stop. My father's death, Will's death, Freya's as well. Or Morgouse's attack on Camelot. I was luck to have already had something that could take down the immortal army but when that happened. A weapon that can kill Immortals is very hard to come across, or make in my case. But either way, despite my magic people still got hurt." He swallowed, "There were times where I just wanted to leave. Times where I very nearly did. But I always ended up staying. When Arthur made you all Knights it kinda of sealed it. I knew I couldn't leave."

He snapped his fingers and the silence that had been placed over the knights broke. Percival was the first to speak, "Why specifically couldn't you leave?"

Merlin smiled, "If you talk to the druids or Killagarah they would tell you about a prophecy that talks about Arthur uniting Albion. I guess when you became knights it finally made me completely believe that it was possible, but not if I left."

Lancelot nodded at the Knights stunned looks, "Merlin's saved your lives far more than you know."

Gwaine turned to him, "How come he told you?"

"I didn't." Merlin spoke up, "He heard me cast a spell to enchant his weapon."

"And you did that why?" Arthur asked.

"Because I wouldn't have been able to kill the Griffen without my weapon being enchanted." Lancelot answered. "We would have died if he hadn't."

Arthur looked between Merlin and Lancelot, "So those times where you two randomly wander off or start talking really quietly-"

"We're usually talking about magic, yes." Merlin confirmed.

Leon sighed, "I can't believe no one noticed."

Elyan nodded, "And especially since we're with you almost all the time."

Gwaine laughed, "Except when he's at the tavern."

Merlin groaned, "I'm never at the tavern! Ive only been there with you guys!"

"Where do you disappear to then?" Arthur wondered.

"Remember when I told you that I was dying?" Arthur blinked. "Vaguely."

"I was dying!" Merlin said exasperatedly.

"What? Why?" Gwaine cried in surprise.

"Serket sting." Merlin said rubbing his back. "Definitely not a good way to go."

Leon frowned, "No one's ever survived a Serket sting. Are you sure that's what it was?"

"Yes I was there. Morgana used magic to tie me up in the middle of their territory."

"How'd you survive?" Leon asked, he'd lost many knights to Serkets before and was curious to know how Merlin of all people survived while tied up.

"Killagarah saved me."

"Who's Killagarah?" Elyan asked.

"A dragon." Merlin said. All the knights except Lancelot stared at him.

Arthur sighed. "Well let's hear the story about this dragon friend of yours shall we?"

They spent the rest of the night like that. Merlin telling stories of magic that they had never even suspected happening right beside them.

Arthur was shocked. He considered Merlin his best friends, someone who he could tell anything to and not worry about him leaving. Now he felt like he needed to do the same for Merlin.

So how would he make sure that he would be safe?