Short and Sweet

Arthur had been in his rooms when Gwen had burst in, "Arthur! Morgana just got a letter from Mordred. He says they'll be back soon. Merlin was injured last night and so they rode all through the night so he could get back this morning."

Arthur was on his feet in an instant and headed out the door with Gwen. "Did he say how he was injured?"

"Poison arrow k think it said? I rushed down here to let you know." Gwen explained.

Arthur got to the court yard and stood on the steps with Gwen by his side. It was early morning, the sun barely in the sky. The only reason he'd already been up and dressed was because he had been having trouble sleeping and decided to go on a walk after waking up for the third time.

It was about and hour later that he heard the sound of hooves on cobblestone. Three horses came into the court yard. Arthur immediately started toward them, telling Gwen to inform Gaius that he would been needed in his chambers when he saw Merlin slumped over the back of his horse. As soon as they came to a stop Percival and Mordred we're getting off their horse and helping the king get the warlock off the horse.

"How long?"

"We got attacked at midnight last night." Mordred quickly explained as Arthur gently took Merlin completely into his arms and they started off toward the castle, leaving the guard by the door to take care of the horses.

"You two look dead on your feet. Go get some rest. I'll make sure Merlin is taken care of. That's and order Percival." The big knight scowled but nodded.

Mordred nodded as well, "Tell Gaius that I believe it's Singen Poison."

Arthur managed to get Merlin to his rooms and layed him down on his bed. A few minutes later Gaius appeared with not only Gwen but Morgana as well.

"Morning Sire." He said briskly. He quickly pulled up Merlin's shirt and cut off the bandages with practiced hands. He studied the wound and Arthur remembered what Mordred had told him.

"Mordred said he thinks it's Singen poison." He informed the physician.

Gaius grimaged and nodded, "He is correct. It explains the marking around the wounds." He  gestured to blue  splotches on Merlin's skin. Ill have to make the antidote. For now give him a drop of this in water every hour until I come back." He handed Arthur a small vial.

He then turned to Gwen, "Do you think you could come get new bandages my dear? And Lady Morgana I may need an extra pair of hands with the antidote."

"Of course Gaius." Morgana nodded and the three of them disappeared out the door. Arthur grabbed a goblet of water from his table and put a drop of the liquid Gaius had given him into the water. He gently opened Merlin's mouth and held his head steady as he poured it slowly into his mouth. The warlock seemed to have a fever and was clammy to the touch.

Merin spluttered slightly but swallowed it down. Arthur scowled and sat on the edge of the bed, "I tell you not to get yourself into trouble and look what you do." He muttered.

A couple minutes later Gwen reappeared, arms full of bandages, "Can you bind the wound?" She asked Arthur hastily. "Gaius said that I should get some cold water to try to keep his temperature down."

"Right." Arthur took the bandages. He knew enough about wounds and had gotten injured enough times to know how to bind a wound.

Gwen left to go get a bucket of water and Arthur began binding the wound.

"Arthur?"

The king looked up in surprise to find Merlin looking at him from tired eyes, "You're awake!"