Gold Eyes

Arthur, Merlin determined, was a mother hen. To be fair it wasn't entirely his fault, Merlin had become increasingly restless after about two days in bed and tried getting up multiple times. Arthur wasn't around at all times so Merlin got away with it fairly often but when Arthur did find out he would herd Merlin back into the bed with idle threats.

Merlin wasn't totally adverse to this. After all, Arthur was pretty busy so he had time to get up and move around while the king was out. When Arthur came back around he usually did paperwork, or had Merlin do the paperwork while he sat with him, until it was time for dinner. This went on for almost a week until Arthur relented and let Merlin walk around their rooms and the castle as long as someone was with him.

Merlin's magic was just as restless as he was which was the cause of many small fires bursting into existence in the fire place. Or the random random floating objects occasionally found in the room.

He decided to look into healing magic simply so he might not be ever put into this sort of situation again. Arthur, being his over protective self, didn't want Merlin out of his sight so Merlin often spent a lot of time sitting on Arthur's bed with his magic books spread out around him. He occasionally experimented with the crown and ring if Arthur wasn't doing anything too important. Like he was doing today.

"Merlin!"

"Yes?" Merlin glanced up from his book where he was looking over connective magic.

"What are you doing?" Arthur looked at him irritably, his blonde hair was being pinned by the gold crown.

Merlin tapped the book, "It's some kind of connective magic."

"Well is there a reason stuff around me keeps glowing?" Arthur asked, "Cause it does and it's rather unsettling cause it doesn't look like you're doing it."

"Oh I am. I'm using you as an extension so I'm doing it indirectly through you." Merlin explained.

Arthur frowned, "And it's necessary to make my quill glow?"

"Well I could make it float but it would probably be difficult to write with." Merlin pointed out, yawning widely.

Arthur got up, setting the quill down and went over to the bed, "Have you changed the bandages recently?"

"No. I haven't been paying attention." Merlin admitted, "I can barely feel it now." He tugged the shirt he was wearing, he was for once not wearing his customary jacket and neckerchief due to the fact that he had changed into bed cloths right after dinner, up and off and began undoing the bandage until the now healing wound was visible. 

Arthur frowned at the wound, which was almost healed enough to the point he wasn't too worried about Merlin breaking it open. But... It was Merlin and he didn't do anything he was supposed to the first time round.

Arthur took the salve that Gaius had given the warlock to speed along the recovery and began tending to the wound, gently applying it and trying not to tickle the warlock. Not that Merlin strictly needed the salve due to the fact that he seemed to heal faster than the average person. But it helped.

Merlin sat still and let Arthur begin with new bandages. Even if he himself could do it Merlin had realized that it made the king feel more secure and less worried about him.

Merlin jumped slightly as a flash of lightning and the sound of thunder echoed through the castle. Arthur looked up from his hands, which were deftly finishing the bandages, to Merlin's face. "Scared of a little thunderstorm?"

"Not at all." Merlin grumbled. "I just don't appreciate loud noises."

Arthur smirked, "Is that so?"