Future

The dragons didn't stick with them. Arthur and Merlin occasionally saw Sethos and Demon flying over head but that was it. The others were probably still at Camelot.

"Have you even heard of this person before?" Arthur asked. Merlin shook his head, "I don't think so. It's possible."

The letter had been addressed to Arthur though it was requesting an audience with both he and Merlin. Well, Emrys to be precise. The man, Quinn, wanted to discuss magic in Camelot. And he had mentioned that he had something that Merlin might be interested in.

It was a days ride to the valley so they would have a night's rest before talking to the man. Something about the letter had made Arthur nervous though he wasn't quite sure what. Merlin didn't seem to concerned and Arthur felt that, seeing as Merlin was usually a worry wart about everything, he shouldn't be concerned about it if the warlock wasn't.

As the sun started to fall behind the horizon, they set up camp and Merlin used magic to clear the little snow in the area and created a barrier to keep out both intruders and most of the cold. Then he started on dinner. How Merlin always managed to have ingredients prepared for food was beyond Arthur, but then again that was his job wasn't it?

While Merlin cooked Arthur set up the simple tent that they had brought. It was pretty much cloth over a simple frame to keep the wind out. Arthur sat down when he was finished and waited for Merlin to finish in silence, staring at the fire.

Apparently he dozed off a bit because he awoke with a jump when Merlin snapped his fingers in front of the king's face. "Arthur, food." The warlock said and sat down next to the blond as he handed him a plate with what looked like a baked potato and some meat.

Arthur pointed to the potato, "Since when do we bring potatoes?"

Merlin snorted, "Since I decided that they were much simpler to carry around the ln supplies for soup."

Arthur rolled his eyes, "Why didn't you think about it before?"

"Because before I just took whatever the kitchen gave me." Merlin grumbled, "But I got tired of soup all the time. So I may have just gone into the kitchen and took what I thought would be easier." He handed the king a spoon, "Eat."

The two ate in comfortable silence for a while before Arthur finally spoke up, "You've been more comfortable revealing your magic to others lately."

Merlin nodded slowly, "It's just.... I'm not saying much, just that I possess it. I think I'd be less comfortable with it if I was saying to what extent I possess it. I've never really seen myself as a great warlock, which is one of the reasons why I don't usually own up do being Emrys."

Arthur shifted against the tree, "Well I guess it's an improvement. I don't think the knights knew what to think of you yesterday."

Merlin shifted uncomfortably, "I hadn't really meant for that to happen."

Arthur smacked the back of his manservant's head, "It's fine. It think they probably understand a little better why you're always doing everything with the knights of the round table."

Merlin gave Arthur a look, "Well one, they're my friends and two it's my job."

"True, though we both know the second one isn't really a factor. If you didn't like us you wouldn't have stayed in Camelot." Arthur smirked, he was positive that he was correct in this case. Merlin wouldn't have put up with him for this long if he didn't actually consider the king his friend.

"True." Merlin said and looked up at the stars, "We should get some sleep."

"I'm the king Merlin, you don't get to tell me what to do."