Magic Is Not Evil

The next day Arthur called his first Round Table Meeting as king. His most trusted knights and advisors sat around the table while Merlin stood behind Arthur's chair.

The meeting went smoothly considering the topic. Arthur was discussing his new magic laws with everyone. He already had many of the knights backing him up and managed to convince most of his advisors that magic wasn't evil.

When one asked about what had caused his deviation from his father's beliefs he responded in a way that surprised Merlin.

"Magic is not fundamentally evil. It is a tool that can be manipulated by man and nothing more. If we can use this tool to create a better world and a better life for our people, where none have to live in fear of being hunted for something that does no harm until threatened, we must. My father lost my mother to magic, but that was because of his lack of understanding of it. By making sure that we understand magic and do not dismiss it as a force for evil, we can make sure that it thrives as a force for good."

Merlin studied the group around the round table. Most of the knights were already willing to support the knights one hundred percent and Gaius and a few of the advisors were the same. The rest of the advisors were a little apprehensive but not against it. Then there was Agravain. Morgana had pulled him aside a long time ago to tell him to watch Arthur's back around the man. She said he had approached he a while back and offer to help, "eliminate any opposition" that may stand in her way, but she suspected that he wanted the crown for himself.

His face was unreadable and the way he looked at Arthur made Merlin shiver in disgust. He seemed oily and the way he talked was so slippery as if he was twisting every word he spoke.

Arthur dismissed the table for a break and ordered the table to reconvene later that evening. Then he strode toward his chambers without a word, Merlin following in his footsteps.

As soon as Merlin closed the door behind them the king slumped into his chair. "This is going to be a long week."

Merlin sat down on the foot of the bed, "It's going well. You have pretty much all the knights supporting you fully. And many of the advisors as well."

"But my uncle doesn't seem to approve and he has a lot of influence with the advisors."

Merlin swallowed, "Morgana doesn't like him." He said slowly.

Arthur looked at his manservant, "Really why?"

"She pulled me aside before and told me to watch your back around him. She says that he approached her about "eliminating any of her opposition." But she believes he may just want the throne for himself."

Arthur stared at Merlin, "And you didn't tell me this before because?"

"He's your uncle and I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt."

Arthur considered this for a moment. "That's not good." He muttered, "If Morgana is right this could cause many problems."

Merlin nodded, "He could pretty easily claim that your being enchanted and that the new magic laws should be void or something of that nature."

Arthur blinked then grinned, "Merlin."

"Yes sire?" The warlock said warily.

"Would that truth spell work on the table?" Arthur asked curiously.

Merlin blinked and then a smile started tugging on his lips, "I believe it would."

"Would you have to reveal yourself to the counsel?" Arthur questioned.

"Not if you sent me away and then I used that invisibility spell so no one knows who I am."

Arthur nodded slowly. "It could cause quite a panic if the table suddenly turns gold."