Nor Would I

"Mister! Mister!"

Merlin paused in the lower town square as a boy, trailed by several other children, ran up to him.

"Is something the matter?"

"Sorry sir." The boy said, slightly out of breath, "It's just. People say your a magician."

Merlin blinked, "Well yes."

"And that you work for the king." Another one of the children piped up.

"I do." Merlin said slowly, "I have for a very long time."

"Well we were wondering, if the old king hated magic so much, why does King Arthur like it, and have a servant with magic?" The boy asked.

Merlin stared at the boy, "I see." He gestured for the children to gather closer as he sat on the steps to the square center platform. "You see Arthur's father, Uther, did not understand magic very well. It's neither good, not evil. It's all dependant on how you use it."

The children listened attentively as Merlin spoke, eyes full of curiosity as the warlock spoke. "Magic is all about balance, and so when Uther wished for something that upset that balance he paid a horrible price in order to restore it. And it killed his wife, Ygraine."

"But if magic isn't bad why would that happen?" On of the younger children asked.

Merlin nodded and then reached to his belt and pulled out a knife, "This knife isn't good or bad either. But if I didn't know how to use it, I could easily hurt myself, or the people around me." He put the knife away, "Magic is the same way. If you don't know what you're doing, someone is going to get hurt."

"So King Uther was mad his wife died?" A girl asked.

"Yes, he was blinded by a misplaced anger towards magic, and decided that it was responsible for taking someone dear from him."

"But King Arthur isn't mad."

"No. He's seen many people use magic for good. He knows it's a tool and nothing more, and something that should not be feared without reason."

"So he likes your magic."

"Well he'd be dead without it." Merlin laughed, "When magic was illegal, people would try and attack the king's family. And if they had magic, I'd always be there to stop them, even if they didn't know."

"So we could learn magic?" One of the boys asked excitedly.

"You could, but there are rules when learning magic, just like their are rules when your learning how to use a sword."

"Like what?" One of the older girls asked in fascination.

"First, you must never intentionally harm an innocent person. It's wrong, and unfair to them. Second, you must keep control of your temper. Anger and magic do not mix, and can lead to very bad things happening. Third, don't try experimenting with magic without supervision. You need a teacher, or you're more likely to hurt yourself and other people."

"But no one knows magic anymore."

"There are a lot more than put think." Merlin smiled, "There are still many magicians who have slowly made themselves know now that magic is legal."

"Are they strong?"

"Most aren't. Magic is a tool and so people usually learn magic that helps them. So a farmer might learn magic to help plants grow, or a Smith might learn magic to make his swords stronger. People specialize in magic the same way others specialize in trades."

"So, could a knight be a magician?"

"Of course. Several of the knights have magic."

"Sir Lancelot?" One asked excitedly, "I met him, he was nice."