A Bit Drunk

The bartender was happy to answer any of their other questions as they ate and Arthur and Merlin found themselves at the end of the night both full of food and knowledge that they hadn't previously possessed.

And Arthur may have gotten a bit drunk.

After Winn, the bartender, had given Arthur his sixth mead Merlin decided that he should probably get the king back up their room before he did something he regretted.

Merlin had finally dragged Arthur up the stairs and tossed him on the bed and lit the candles with a glance. He sighed in exasperation, "Honestly, six! Where is your brain?"

"Why'd you call me Artie?" Arthur mumbled tiredly. He was like this every time he got drunk; tired, disoriented, and very likely to have a slip of the tongue.

Merlin groaned, "Because Winn knew we were connected to Camelot and calling you Arthur would have been a pretty big give away." He pulled off Arthur's boots seeing as the king wasn't moving to do it himself. "Why'd you have to go and get drunk anyway?" He managed to get Arthur's tunic off, it was the only one he'd brought and it needed to be somewhat clean tomorrow or until he could clean it. As for the trousers, he hadn't brought and extra pair.

"Seemd like a good idea at the time." His speech was slow and halting. Merlin grimaced and sat down to take off his own boots and then started on his jacket and neckerchief. Then he tugged off his shirt.

"Why'd ya wear that all the time?" Merlin looked up in surprise at the question. "Wear what?"

The king gestured vaguely at Merlin's hand where he was holding his neckerchief, "That."

Merlin frowned, "It's a gift from my mother." He told the king, "She gave it to me before I left for Camelot." He didn't mention that it also covered up the scars on his collar bone which was one of the reasons he used to wear it to sleep.

He flopped into the bed by Arthur and glanced at the candles in the room putting all but one out. "Merlin?"

"Yes Arthur?" Merlin asked glancing over at Arthur in the dim light. It was dark outside and the light from the candle was barely enough to light the room.

Merlin had no doubt that Arthur would fall asleep soon, the combination of alcohol and their journey would knock the king out rather quickly.

Arthur poked Merlin so he'd roll over completely to face him. When the warlock finally did he found Arthur looking up at him with glassy eyes. "You okay?" Merlin asked quietly.

Arthur didn't say anything just continued to stare at Merlin. Merlin sighed and got comfortable before closing his eyes. The prat could stare at him all he wanted but he wanted some sleep.

He felt Arthur shift and gave a start when he felt the king take one of his hands. He opened his eyes to find the king studying his hand, turning it over so the palm was down. "Arthur? What are you doing?"

Merlin was used to the king acting strangely when he was drunk but it was usually as a result of forgetting things. Arthur glanced between Merlin and his hand before dropping it and getting under the covers and getting comfortable. Merlin sighed, that was his king. Arthur was still looking at him and Merlin rolled his eyes, "Have I ever mentioned that you are a strange drunk?"

Arthur nodded blearily, "I think you said somthin bout it." His voice was quiet and Merlin laughed at the small slur. "Go to sleep Arthur. You're in for a hangover in the morning."

Arthur shrugged and flopped over so he was taking up most of the bed. Merlin shoved at him, "Come on you prat, don't be a bed hog."

"Treason." Arthur mumbled into the pillow but he moved his arm so he wasn't pushing the warlock off the bed. Merlin made a face, Arthur was going to be the death of him one day.