The Future of Albion

When they reached their old camping site it was still an hour till dark so Merlin decided to make soup. He some how pulled everything he needed from his bag and started cooking with a pot. Arthur watched as Merlin's hands deftly went about their tasks. "When did you learn to cook?" He asked.

Merlin frowned, "I don't really know. I guess it just happened, between helping my mother and going to Camelot it just added up." He glanced at Arthur, "And someone's gotta keep you fed."

Arthur rolled his eyes, "I'm not helpless Merlin." The manservant just smiled, "I'm not so sure about that. You couldn't even put your boots on without help."

Suddenly Merlin paused and his head cocked to the left slightly as if he was listening. "Morgana is here."

Sure enough a minute later Arthur could hear the sound of horse hooves and then see the horse and rider. When she stopped at the edge of the clearing she just looked at them for a moment before dismounting and tying her horse up.

"You really are alone." She remarked as she slowly made her way towards them. Arthur gestured to the fire. "Come sit. We just want to talk."

She stood down warily. "Why am I here Arthur? I know that you don't have father's approval. And from what I can see there were three of you not two, and because we're so close to Ealdor I suspect that you were there first."

Merlin nodded, "It got raided again and they needed food." Her harsh features softened, her kindness for those in need began showing through.

"And so you use the opportunity to talk to me without anyone knowing?"

Arthur bit his lip, "Not exactly." He glanced at Merlin, "You see, ever since you opened the veil between the two worlds I've been thinking about magic much more."

She scowled, "Thinking that it a force of evil that should be purged from the Earth no doubt?"

Arthur shook his head, "Actually, I'd become curious about how it could be used to help those in need. Despite what father has said I always believed that there was more to magic than his one sided view."

Morgana looked confused, "Are you asking my opinion?"

Arthur shrugged, "Sort of. You see, the knights and I have discussed it. We all agree that once I am king that we want to reestablish magic. Make it legal once more."

Morgana's sharp features changed to that of shock and for a moment she looked lost, "Wha-What? Why? What changed your mind?"

Arthur smiled, "None of us were against it to begin with. All it took was a little nudge and we all decided that it wasn't evil. It is a tool, and nothing more."

She looked like she wanted to cry in relief but she was still trying to collect all the pieces, "what was this nudge?"

Arthur nodded to Merlin, "That would have been when this idiot used magic and saved our lives, again, right in front of our faces."

Morgana's gaze snapped to Merlin who nodded. She blinked, "You." She said slowly, "You have magic?"

Merlin nodded, "I do. And trust me Morgana, there are many things I regret. I regret not telling you. And trying to hide your own magic from you. And so many more."

She stared at him for a while, "Why did you poison me?" She finally asked. Then held up a hand, "Wait. Actually would you mind if I cast a truth spell on the fire so that all of us must speak the truth?"

Merlin glanced to Arthur who shrugged, "You're the warlock." Merlin rolled his eyes then nodded to Morgana. She quickly spoke the spell and the fire turned emerald green.