Thank You For Everything

"How do you leave and come back with four baby dragons!?" Gwaine exclaimed. Merlin rolled his eyes, "Magic." Elyan threw up his hands, "That's you're answer to everything!" When they'd got back it was late and dark out but the knights had waited for them.

Arthur shrugged, "Coming from him its a pretty legitimate answer." He scratched Demon's head and the knights stared as the little dragon chirped it's approval. Percival frowned, "Are they boys or girls?"

Merlin looked at the four dragons. "Demon and Doros are girls. Sethos and Ektor are boys."

The knights carefully petted the dragons who crawled off Morgana and Arthur to sniff at them. Doros started chirping as Mordred scratched her ears while Ektor perched on Gwaine's head making Percival laugh.

Morgana and Merlin watched as the knights, perviously under the impression that dragons were evil played with them like little kids played with kittens or puppies. Merlin looked over to Morgana, "So what do we do when they get bigger?"

Morgana frowned, "You're the dragonlord Merlin."

"Well I don't think we could fit fully grown dragons into Camelot."

Arthur heard what they were talking about and walked over, "No, they couldn't. That doesn't mean they couldn't be around. Kilgharrah goes wherever he pleases and I'm sure these ones will too eventually."

Morgana smiled, "Though I imagine they'll always be close to Camelot."

Merlin laughed, "I rather doubt you'll have any problems with armies attacking the capital again."

Arthur rolled his eyes, "How quickly do they grow?"

Merlin shrugged, "Pretty quickly if they have food and can exercise. Aithusa did not but he wasn't treated well as a baby."

Morgana shivered. "That won't happen again."

Arthur looked at the dragon, "We can always just get the people used to having them around. It's not like their going to hurt anyone so it may be a good idea to bring them into the city. Let the people see them grow up."

Merlin leaned against the wall. "We'll need to take them out into the woods to hunt. Once their big enough to be on their own we can let them go by themselves."

Arthur smiled, "That's not that big of an issue. I wouldn't mind getting out regularly and I'm sure the other knights could go as well on days I can't."

Mordred and Gwaine immediately looked up, "I'm in!"

The other knights laughed and also agreed. Merlin smiled and whispered something in the dragon tongue. When the others gave him a questioning look he explained, "I told them that they must listen to only the people in this room. I figure it would be safest in this way."

Eventually they all went their separate ways, the four dragons going with Merlin and Arthur to their quarters.

Merlin set up.blankets for them to sleep on and soon the four dragons were sleeping in a nest of blankets under the window. Merlin frowned and went over to place a hand on the glass and mutter something. He looked over at Arthur, "It'll keep the cold out."

Arthur nodded, "smart." He smiled, "Didn't know you had it in you Merlin."

"Oh shut up you prat. Come on, it's late and I need to do your window too." He and Arthur went to the king's chambers before Merlin helped him get ready for the night and them put the same window seal on the thin glass window.

As the king got into bed he put more wood in the fire. "Anything else you need sire?"

"Hey Merlin?" Arthur asked quietly.

"Oh no. I never like that voice. It is usually followed by something stupid." Merlin came over and sat on the bed by Arthur, looking down at the king.

Arthur frowned, "What do you mean stupid?"

"I mean a question that has an obvious answer that you just don't like or don't want to accept."

Arthur shook his head, "I was just wondering why you still hide your magic. Or at least don't use it in public."

Merlin blinked, "Habit I guess. I don't need to most of the time. Why'd you bring it up?"

"Well I just realized that the merchant earlier was the first person you actually told." Arthur said, "Everyone else has been out of necessity."

Merlin thought for a moment before meeting Arthur's gaze, "I'm not putting my own gain before others. I get by how I am now and I rather like only having my friends know. Or at least know the extent of my magic."

Arthur nodded, "So it's not that you don't feel safe?"

Merlin gawked at him, "No! I'm pretty sure if you'd had a problem with my magic you would have said something about it already."

Arthur nodded, "That's probably true."

He reached out a hand to catch Merlin wrist, "You'd say something if you didn't wouldn't you?"

Merlin slowly nodded. "Well yes." He said as he realized what the king was asking, "But I haven't had anyone hurt me at court in quiet sometime Arthur. The scars are old."

Arthur traced the scar in Merlin's wrist, "They still look painful. No matter how old they are."

Merlin smiled, "I'm plenty used to them. Just cause you aren't doesn't mean that they are as horrible as they look to you."

Arthur sighed and nodded and released Merlin's wrist, "Get some rest. We've got a busy day tomorrow."

The manservant stood, "Meetings, yay." He said sarcasticly.

"Oh and Merlin?"

"Yes Sire?" Merlin asked as he stood at his door. The king smiled, "You need to figure out how we are going to take care of the dragons."

Merlin groaned and nodded, "If they wake me up in the morning." He yawned, he stopped at the doorway and looked back at Arthur, "I trust you Arthur." He said after a pause, "You won't ever be someone I miss trust. So don't worry about it."

Arthur looked at the warlock for a moment, "Thank you Merlin. For everything."

"Goodnight, you prat."

"Goodnight Merlin."