Starting Out

"No, no, no! Not like that!" Merlin passed a young squire that was putting a saddle on the horse, "Here let me. If you do it like that you're going to get yourself trampled."

Morgana was dressed in her old training cloths and holding the reins for her horse. Next to her Arthur was talking to Lancelot about something, his horse tied up a short distance away.

Leon was directing the filling of two supply wagons while Percival and Gwaine were checking their own personal supplies and weapons. Elyan was talking to Gwen a little ways away from them next to Arthur and Lancelot. Lance had been chosen to stay in Camelot with some of the knights as a defensive force

They were set to leave in half and hour and Merlin still had to run up to his room to grab his bag which he'd forgotten while taking care of Arthur's things. Once they had ensured that everything was almost ready, both Arthur and Merlin headed back up to their chambers to grab Merlin's supplies. 

"I think I've got everything." Merlin called from his room. 

Arthur walked in, "You sure?"

"Yes?" Merlin looked around, "I can't think of anything else."

Arthur's eyes flicked around the room, "Is that the box?"

"Yeah, I put most of my stuff in there so it wouldn't weigh as much." Merlin answered as Arthur walked over to him so he could wrap his arms around the warlock's waist which had become a habit of his recently. 

"Are you okay?" Arthur asked quietly.

"You know me." Merlin said, "Tough as boot leather."

Arthur rolled his eyes, "You keep getting yourself hurt." He said seriously, his face falling.

Merlin sighed and leaned back into the king, "I know. It's no fun for me either but I'm getting the job done. When this is all over I'll actually take the time to rest up."

Arthur tightened his arms a bit, knocking some of the air out of Merlin's lungs, "You better."

"Arthur- Can I please- Breath?" Merlin gasped out. Arthur loosened his hold and Merlin swatted at him with a hand. "Jerk. Just because your strong doesn't mean-" Arthur tightened his hold again.

"If you actually minded you would stop me." Arthur said and let Merlin go, kissing his temple before heading towards the door, "Come on. We should head out soon."

Merlin grabbed his bag, "How do you do that?"

"What?" 

"Be a complete ass and still have a valid point?"

"Talent." Arthur grinned. Merlin grunted and rolled his eyes but followed the king down to the court yard so they could start their journey to confront Heldin's army. 

---

There were about half the knights accompanying them. They hadn't wanted to leave enough people to defend Camelot while still having an advantage and so they had divided the knights so they'd have a good number accompanying them. Then there was Morgana. The woman had become very respected among the knights and between her swords skills and her magic many of the knights were more than glad to have her along. 

They had stopped after several hours of riding. The sun was beginning to go down and the horses needed water and time to rest, not to mention to graze. The knights split up into groups, making fires and cooking food.

Merlin made food for Arthur, Leon, Percival, Morgana, Mordred, Elyan, and Gwaine. The others were working on setting up their tents. Gwaine and Percival we're sharing one, Mordred and Elyan had another. Leon and Morgana both had tents to themselves while Arthur and Merlin also we're sharing.