Creating and Maintaining

A few weeks later the dragons were officially too big for the citadel. Merlin spent a lot of his free time outside Camelot where he and the dragons found a large cace that they could take shelter in. Arthur was pretty sure that the cave hadn't been there before but didn't ask Merlin about it.

One day, Arthur was training some of the younger knights when Merlin showed up from taking care of the dragons and leaned against a nearby wall to watch. Arthur raised a hand in welcome and Merlin smiled.

The youngest knights were still inexperienced and had not developed the same quick reflexes that the other, more experienced knights possessed. Many were related to those of Noble blood, and were sent by their families to serve the Pendragons, while others were commons folk who were decent swords men. All needed work.

Arthur had one man step forward and dueled him, disarming him fairly quickly before giving him a suggestion. Then he motioned the man to pick up his sword and duel again. He couldn't seem to get it though. Arthur frowned and shook his head after about the fifth time. "Somethings not right." He muttered.

"He's left handed Arthur. You teaching him right handed." Merlin called, "The way you move your feet and hands is very different than how he would."

Arthur glanced back at Merlin, "Any suggestion then Merlin?" The king asked.

"Demostrate it slowly." Merlin rolled his eyes, "You're moving so quickly that he can't shift everything to a left handed form."

The knight nodded sheepishly. "He's correct my Lord."

Arthur nodded, "He usually is." He grumbled.

Merlin laughed, "He admits it!"

"Shut up Merlin." Arthur said, "Or I'll be handing you a sword next and seeing how well you do."

Merlin snorted. "I'll just be over here. I have a letter for you. It doesn't say who it's from."

Arthur nodded before slowly demonstrated the moves to the man and then asked him to repeat it without any engagement. He gave a tip and then had him repeat it again before nodding. "Now try using it in combat." He raised his sword before lunging.

The man was not a bad swordsman and with the little instruction that Arthur had given him was able to combat most of what Arthur threw at him. He did end up being knocked to the ground eventually, but it took far longer and he managed to use the move that Arthur had taught him.

The king helped him, "Much better. Keep working on your footing." He gestured for Merlin to come to his side and the manservant handed him a thick envelope sealed with blue wax. "This showed up on your desk earlier while I was cleaning." Merlin explained.

"Magic?" Arthur frowned, Merlin rolled his eyes, "No, a raven. If course it was magic I don't think a invisible bird dropped a letter on your desk after coming through the closed window."

"Shut up Merlin." Arthur broke the seal and opened it, pulling out a two page letter and a map. Arthur scanned the message before handing it to Merlin, "It appears someone wants to meet us. Specifically you."

The knights watched the two, confused. "Why would someone want to meet Merlin?" One asked curiously. All the young knights knew Merlin. The manservant was constantly around whether it was helping Arthur, Gaius, or one of his knight friends it wasn't uncom for him to talk to them. But none knew of his magic.

Merlin chewed his lip as he read the letter, "I see. They don't know me specifically."

"But they knew I knew you." Arthur nodded and tapped the small map where a circle had been drawn. "They want to see us in the Valley of the Fallen Kings."