Returning To Camelot

The trip back to Camelot went surprisingly well. Lyra left the camp a few hours before the Camelot knights in order to reach the town her sister was staying in. They got back to Camelot late in the evening four days later, Heldin and five others still locked to the back of a cart, Arthur was quick to explain what had happened to the round table. 

Morgana and Merlin worked together to make sure the six prisoners where properly contained down in the dungeon almost as soon as they reached the citadel, Merlin only pausing to help Arthur get out of his armor before they ran off in different directions. The other knights, exhausted after being away for more than a week were quick to return to their homes and eat a home cooked meal or fall asleep in their own beds. 

Well after the sun had set Arthur was finally released from the numerous meetings he'd been engaged in since his return and returned to his rooms, only to find them empty, with no sign of Merlin. When he checked the warlocks rooms next door the only sign that he'd been there was the bag tossed haphazardly upon the bed.

Arthur sighed and trudged out into the now empty halls, wandering up the various levels of the castle until he reached hall that lead out onto the walls. There he found Merlin, sitting in between two of the walls crenelations, legs swinging aimlessly out over empty air.

Arthur slipped into the empty space between Merlin and the wall and knocked his shoulder into the other, "Everything alright?"

Merlin blinked at him before nodding, "Yeah. I was talking to the dragons and then lost track of time afterwards. How'd your meetings go?"

"Could have been better. Most of the advisors think I should sentence Heldin to death and be done with it. The knights on the other hand all think he should be given a chance to redeem himself seeing as he never got around to attacking Camelot, only me." Arthur reached over and took one of Merlin's hands from where it was resting on the castle stone and began playing aimlessly with the ring on the warlock's finger. 

Merlin frowned, "And what do you think?"

"I want to give the man a chance to speak for himself before any decisions are made. I want to hear the others views on the matter as well." Arthur muttered, "I don't like making decisions until I can see the whole picture." 

Merlin nodded, "I know. Which is why it'll turn out fine." He nodded to the road, "The dragons saw Lyra less than a half day's ride away. She should be here tomorrow."

Arthur frowned, "I know this may seem like me just worrying some more about nothing, but do you think she's completely trust worthy?"

Merlin frowned, "I think she is. She did willingly stop her father and is now bringing her sister here. I don't think she'd bring her sister anywhere near here if she wasn't trust worthy."

Arthur nodded, "You're probably right."

"What was that?" Merlin asked innocently.

Arthur scowled, "I'm not repeating myself." He muttered as he scooted backwards to put his feet back on the wall walkway. "Come on. It's been a long day. And tomorrow will be plenty longer."

"Look at you being responsible." Merlin laughed as he stood and hopped off the ledge next to the king, "Took long enough." 

"Hey!" Arthur wrapped an arm around the warlocks shoulders, using his free hand to ruffle Merlin's already messy hair, "I'm the king of Camelot. I'm always responsible."

"Keep telling yourself that." Merlin grinned, swiping at the hand in his hair. "Come on. I'm going to get the tub for a bath. You could really use one." 

"Oh shut up." Arthur grumbled but followed him back towards their rooms. 

∆∆∆