A Bit Quiet

Merlin was riding next to Gwaine when he heard it. Or more accurately, didn't hear it. "Gwaine?" He said quietly, shifting closer in the procession of horses so he could keep his voice low, "Isn't it a bit quiet?"

Gwaine looked around, "Huh. Other than the horses... Yeah." 

Merlin's eyes flicked around the forest, "There isn't anyone around." He said quietly,  "So why are there no animals?"

"We scared them off?" Gwaine suggested.

Merlin shook his head, "That doesn't make any sense. This path is used pretty often."

Gwaine shrugged, "Maybe it's nothing."

"Gwaine when is it ever nothing?" Merlin asked giving the forest around them a sour look, "That's like you going to the tavern and not drinking." 

"So never." Percival said, startling both of them. They turned in their saddles to stare at the big knight behind them. He shrugged, "Just saying." 

Gwaine scowled at him, "Thanks for the support Perc."

"It's true!" Merlin shifted his horse aside so Percival could fall in line with them. "You always drink even if we're only stopping by."

Gwaine  reached over and smacked Percival's shoulder, "Shhhh. We aren't talking about that. We're talking about  the absence of animals."

Percival nodded, "I know. Have you considered the fact that maybe we've scared them all off? Because this road may be used but never this much."

Merlin sighed, "Maybe. Doesn't sit right with me though."

Gwaine snorted, "You are paranoid."

"Do you know how many times I've nearly died?" Merlin complained, "I have every right to be paranoid."  

Gwaine patted his back, "Don't worry. I'm sure it'll be fine."

Merlin gave him a look that showed he was unconvinced but didn't say anything more. 

∆∆∆

"I told you it was weird!" Merlin hissed. "Merlin you are paranoid" he mimicked Gwaine. "But look what happened!"

"Shut up Merlin!" Gwaine complained, "How was I supposed to know that the band of magical freaks could control animals?" 

"Well maybe if you guys just accepted that I may actually know a few things we wouldn't be in this situation!"

Percival grunted, "He has a point." He grumbled as he looked around, "Any more death birds?"

"You would never think that pidgeons could be scary until their dive bombing you." Gwaine muttered.

Merlin looked around, blue eyes flecked with gold due to how much magic he'd used to sheild the majority of the precession from the random animals that had suddenly attacked them. "You think it's over?"

Percival looked around at the number of dead pidgeons around their horses, "I hope so."

Merlin stood in the stirrups to see ahead of him, "You think everyone is okay?"

Gwaine looked around, "Well I don't hear anymore yelling."

Arthur?

I'm okay. The response was immediate. Arthur and Morgana had been up at the front of the precession. Merlin, Gwaine and Percival had taken the middle. While Mordred's was in the back. It was an efficient way of communicating with how much distance there was between them. Morgana held off the big stuff while everyone went after the little ones.