fourteen

fourteen

Sehun knew he wouldn't stop at giving Junmyeon his bracelet. As much as he wanted to show Junmyeon how much he cared about him—not only with buying him gifts—but doing greater things for him.

Thankfully, tonight wasn't as cold as normal. And thankfully, hot air rises. So being on the roof wasn't as cold as the rest of the area's teenagers would be as they ran around the town, trying to find a source of alcohol or cocaine. Sehun knew he wasn't the only one who wanted to forget the madness of the year. He actually had been craving a beer in that moment, as much as he hated drinking.

He told Junmyeon to meet him on the roof at ten o'clock—that's when the janitors would have left the school and parents would already be sleeping on their couches. But it was almost eleven, and Sehun was still all alone.

It had gotten colder. And later. And it was almost the new year.

Junmyeon didn't come until eleven-forty-five.

"I'm sorry. Sneaking out was harder than I thought," Junmyeon explained, running closer to Sehun. "Fifteen minutes left."

Sehun took his hand. He was suddenly warmer.

Junmyeon rested his head on Sehun's chest.

"Why did you want me up here?" Junmyeon asked as he wrapped his hands around the back of Sehun's neck, his head still pressed against the younger's chest.

"I want you to be my new year's kiss." Sehun looked down at Junmyeon. He placed a kiss on the boy's head, holding him tighter to keep warm. "But in the meantime," Sehun said as he started playing a song from his phone before setting it on the ledge next to them. Junmyeon didn't recognize the song. "I want to show you more music."

Junmyeon grabbed Sehun's phone from the platform and looked at the title of the song. Find You. Zedd.

Junmyeon liked this one so far. It was a relaxed acoustic song, driven by both a piano and guitar. There were two singers on this song—a boy and a girl. Their voices combined nicely with one another.

I'll run away with your footsteps.

Sehun placed his hand on Junmyeon's cheek. It felt soft against his dry fingers. Junmyeon felt himself tense up as Sehun touched him. In reality, it was nothing new. But then again, every day with Sehun felt new. Junmyeon would still feel giddy whenever Sehun walked in the room. That boy still had the ability to give Junmyeon butterflies in his stomach, not only from his perfection, but just his existence. Junmyeon seriously loved Sehun.

"Do you like this song?" Sehun asked as he brushed a hand through Junmyeon's soft, cocoa hair. Junmyeon nodded.

"I like all your songs, Hunnie."

Sehun chuckled. "Hunnie?"

"Yes, Hunnie."

"Alright. I'll just call you Myeonnie then."

"Okay, Hunnie."

"Okay, Myeonnie."

The two just swayed to the soft music together. Sehun kept his hands close to Junmyeon's face, while the older kept his on Sehun's forearms. Once the previous song was over, a harmonious, but somewhat somber, chorus came over the speakers. There was no real music in the background. Just voices.

Tonight the apple falls in time, we'll sing along to Auld Lang Syne, and throw confetti high up into space.

Junmyeon then realized, with each song that Sehun showed, the next would top the last in the favorites department. But this one was special, for it was most definitely more beautiful and ethereal than the others.

Sehun checked the time on his phone. "It's eleven-fifty-nine." Junmyeon glanced at the screen himself. The two watched, waiting for it to turn twelve. They waited. And waited. And waited.

Twelve.

We could be kings of the world.

At first, Sehun just pulled Junmyeon's face closer to his. He didn't kiss him, though. He just kept close. So close that Sehun could feel Junmyeon's warm breath slowly escaping his lips. Their foreheads lightly touched. As Sehun brushed his thumb against Junmyeon's temple, he pushed in lips onto Junmyeon's. This kiss was different from the others they had. It felt more real. Like they were saying all the things they needed to say in that kiss. Sehun was saying all the heartfelt, important, sensitive things. Junmyeon was just saying, you turned me against my fear. You made me weaker, and stronger at the same time. Only you could do that.

"You..." Junmyeon trailed on, his mouth still centimeters from Sehun's. "...should play Kiss You."

Sehun laughed. He let his head fall into the crook of Junmyeon's shoulder and neck.

Kiss the past away, like new year's day.

"I'm kidding. I like this song."

Sehun stared at Junmyeon with the same look he had given him many times before. That look where he'd have a glistening in his eyes, eyebrows relaxed, mouth curved in a small smile. Junmyeon loved when Sehun looked at him like that. It was perfect.

"Me too," Sehun whispered. "Happy New Year, Myeonnie. Spend this entire year with me, okay? Valentine's day, our birthdays, summer, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas. All of it. Okay?"

Junmyeon nodded. "Okay, Hunnie."