thirty one

thirty one

THE HOSPITAL WASN'T A COMFORTING PLACE for Junmyeon, mainly because he had never been in one. And the thought of his first time being inside of one was because none other than Sehun had been passed out cold didn't make it too inviting either. Yeseul, however, seemed completely normal, as if this wasn't the first time she had to watch her brother fight for his life.

"He hasn't been like this in years," Yeseul muttered under her breath, grabbing Junmyeon's attention. "I thought he was okay."

"He was."

Yeseul hugged her knees close to her chest, while Junmyeon just stared at the ground. The humming of the air conditioning became obnoxious and agonizing, so he eventually force himself to listen to music to rid the white noise. He listened to Robbers.

Junmyeon tried to focus of the music streaming through his senses instead of worrying about what was being done to Sehun. It was all too much to comprehend at once—not knowing what even happened, and not knowing if he should even worry. But from how Yeseul was behaving, Junmyeon had every reason to worry.

She was holding back tears. Junmyeon could see it as her eyes were covered with a glossy shield of tears and the skin on her face turned pink. He wanted to assure her that Sehun would be okay. It was just another relapse. He'd be up and healthy within a week. But he didn't know, which was the real pain behind it all—the mystery. The unknown. The possibility that anything could happen.

Junmyeon didn't notice Yeseul had been talking to a doctor until several minutes later. He had lost himself in the music, along with the invasive thoughts flooding his mind. But he didn't want to know what the doctor was saying, so he continued to listen to the music.

Yeseul sat down again. She pulled the headphones from Junmyeon's ears.

"He's okay."

Junmyeon couldn't feel any happiness with that statement. As much as he wanted to, as much as he should have, he didn't. It was a lie.

"If he's okay, then this wouldn't have happened."

Yeseul didn't say anything for a while, and neither did Junmyeon.

"I'm going to see him. Feel free to join me," Yeseul sighed as she stood up from the chair. She made her way down the long hallway, eventually stopping at the designated room Sehun had been resting in. Junmyeon kept waiting. He went over what he would say to Sehun when he would awaken.

I'm sorry. I love you.

That's about all he could say.

Jongin showed up a few minutes later.

"He's stable," Junmyeon told. Jongin sat next to Junmyeon, letting out a deep breath.

"That's good."

There was a short pause. Humming of machinery and footsteps of nurses and doctors was all to be heard. That, plus Junmyeon's beating heart.

"Do you know why this would happen?" Junmyeon asked, trying to keep himself collected. He truly felt like crying. Not only that, but he felt the need to punch a wall, or maybe beat someone up. He couldn't help but feel anger. The anger just worsened, realizing there was no way he could help the situation.

"I don't know," Jongin answered quietly. "With you leaving and Yixing dying, it was too much for him."

Junmyeon looked at Jongin. The boy was really handsome, but he wasn't perfect. Not to Junmyeon, anyway. Only Sehun had been perfect to him. Not anything or anybody else. Jongin's skin was dark, a lot like his personality. Junmyeon had realized he knew close to nothing about this guy, except for that him and Sehun had only known each other when they were trying to get buzzed.

"Was it this bad? When it first happened?"

Jongin let out a quiet sigh. "This is worse.