twenty two

twenty twotwo months later.

SEHUN HADN'T SEEN A DAY like this in what felt like centuries.

Finally, he had felt his life start to resolve itself. He was able to forget about the year he had spent in rehab at only fourteen years old. He had forgotten about all the agonizing years being plucked from foster homes and dropped into new ones.

But that had all come back. As much as he didn't want to believe it, it was happening.

"You'll stay with the Byeon family for now. They don't have any males in that house, so there's no need to worry," Sehun's social worker explained. Eunmi and Dongchul nodded as they comprehended the situation. They looked rather sad. Sehun was angry.

"Okay. Thank you," Eunmi told as Sehun let out a sigh. She turned towards him with a longing expression. "I'm sorry, Sehun. This is just what we have to do."

He didn't say anything. He just went to his room—the room that was now packed clean of the belongings Sehun had left. That only included the picture with Yeseul and Sehyeon, along with the blue blanket he had been carrying with him all these years of being in and out of foster homes. Now, it was tattered and ripped in certain areas. He remembered crying into it the night him and Yeseul were separated. He remembered holding onto the blanket for dear life the night Sehyeon didn't come home. And there he was, holding it loosely, wishing he could have had it just stay in one house. One loving, comfortable, safe, and most importantly, permanent house.

His backpack had been filled to the brim with nothing but clothes. Other than his picture frame and blanket, he kept a notebook with him to keep himself occupied when settling into this new home.

He looked out the window where the black sky had clouds covering its stars, the trees in the backyard swaying with the calm breeze that occupied the air. Sehun wished his life could be as simple as the life outside of all the madness.

Sehun made his way back downstairs, his backpack hanging from his shoulders and the stairs creaking with each step. He wanted time to suddenly just stop so he wouldn't have to endure the awkward phase of settling into this new home. Even if it were loving and caring the way Eunmi and Dongchul are, he'd never really get used to it.

"All set?" the social worker asked once Sehun reached the bottom of the staircase. He nodded with the same bland expression on his face. Eunmi had walked towards the boy, then pulling him into a hug.

"This will be your last home. I can feel it," she whispered. Sehun swallowed hard, trying to keep back any emotion from showing. Whether it be tears or the anger he had felt inside, he didn't let it show.

"Goodbye, Sehun." Dongchul patted Sehun on the shoulder before opening the front door. A warm breeze entered into the house. As comfortable as it felt outside, Sehun didn't want to leave. But he didn't have a choice.

He stepped out onto the front porch without saying a word. Then, he got into the worn-down car without a thought crossing his mind. This was routine by now. He knew what to expect. It was always the same, up until he actually met the people he'd be staying with. He'd just leave the current house, trying to keep in his anger. They'd drive for what would feel like hours. Then he'd be in yet another house.

*

This house was just like all the others, but at the same time, it wasn't.

Three girls, and two of them were twins. Sehun could tell them apart, thankfully—one had long hair and she had a snarky attitude—a lot like Yeseul. The other's hair was a bit shorter, and she was nice. They were only fourteen. They were adopted by this foster parent, which was something else for Sehun to be envious of.

The other girl was quiet, and she was Sehun's age. She had light blonde hair—Sehun's least favorite color.

"How about you set up the pull out couch for Sehun, okay?" The mother, Jaehee, had instructed towards the eldest child. Her voice was soft and delicate, and overall comforting. The young girl ran out of the dining area and into the following room.

Jaehee set down her glass of water as she gave Sehun a bright expression. "We're glad to have you, Sehun."

The boy smiled. All other families would say the same thing, but from Jaehee, it sounded genuine.

"I'm well aware of all that's gone on, and I hope that this can be your permanent home. Eunmi made sure this was a fit placement for you," she explained. Sehun knew well aware however that by fit, she meant no boys. No boys to fall in love with. No boys to sleep with. No boys to leave Sehun.

"I think the situation was handled very poorly. None of it was your fault."

Sehun suddenly felt his heart sinking into his stomach. He had spent every single day thinking about what happened. But talking about it was different—it meant he had to accept the fact that he had to go through all this alone. Without him.

"Thank you," Sehun said sincerely. Jaehee grinned again before standing up.

"Well, you should get to sleep. I'll be in the room across the hall if you need me." She lightly rested her hand on Sehun's shoulder. He tensed up at the contact, even despite the delicateness of her touch.

"Okay."

He made himself comfortable on the rather uncomfortable pull-out mattress. There was a single sheet, along with a heavy fleece-blanket covering him. The pillows were flat and dull. The TV in front of him showed the late night news.

He wasn't tired. He was wide awake—but this was normal. In every new home, he'd have to sleep in pretty much everywhere except a bed. He'd lie awake for nearly hours. He'd try to tell himself that things would resolve, and it would be his last time doing this routine. Especially tonight, because with with all the had been through lately—the loneliness, confusion, and overall toxic thoughts—he needed to convince himself that he had finally received good news.

He eventually decided to listen to some music to help calm his thoughts. It would at least get him thinking about something other than his past and now, the present. But it all just got worse when Is There Somewhere began to play.