eighteen

•A year and a half later•

•Y/n's POV•

I had finally graduated from high school. My parents decided to move to Ohio after that. They figured I could go to college there anyway, being that there wasn't a school too far from where we were moving to. We moved in during the summer, and once fall came around, it was time for school to start. My friend Taylor wanted to go to school out of state, so she decided to come to the same school as me. However, my other friend Hailey decided to stay in New York and go to school there.

Today was the first day of class, so I woke up and got ready. It was a bit chilly out, so I just threw on a pair of leggings with a hoodie.

I didn't have my own car yet, but Selena was going to the same school as me, so she offered to drive me every morning.

"So, are you nervous?" She asked, looking over to me for a second and then adverting her eyes back to the road as she drove.

"Obviously," I replied, laughing a bit. Of course I was nervous, I barely knew anybody in this town and it was the first day of college.

Once we arrived at the campus and she parked the car, we got out and went our separate ways, being that she didn't have the same class as me.

It was kind of confusing trying to find the room I needed to be in, but after asking a student that had been going here for a while, I eventually found it.

I walked in, and the room was filled with a ton of unfamiliar people. I sat down in a random seat, not really having a preference on where to sit.

I sat there quietly for a bit, staring at my shoes. There was about ten minutes until class started. Other people were talking, but others were also sitting there silently, like me.

I looked up when I heard somebody sit in front of me. It was a brunette boy, and he was wearing a black hoodie, and he looked all too familiar.

He turned his head a bit to look around, and I only saw the side of his face, but that's when I immediately knew who it was. It was Tyler. He didn't notice me though because he hadn't turned around enough to see me.

I was pondering on whether to say hi to him or not. We hadn't talked in over a year, and the last time we talked things were really awkward. I decided to stay quiet, and if he noticed me, that's when I'd greet him.

But even when the class ended, he didn't notice me. Once we were dismissed, he quickly got up and left the room before he could even have the chance to see me. I was kind of sad because I was kind of looking forward to talking to him again. But he was in one my classes, so I'd have the chance to talk to him the next time I came.

I only had one other class that day, and lucky for me, Taylor was in that class. After the class I began to walk towards the front of the campus, where I'd meet Selena so we could drive home.

On my way, I kept my eyes to the ground, not exactly watching in front of me. I bumped into someone, and mumbled a 'sorry' as I looked up. I almost froze as I was met with a familiar pair of chocolate brown eyes. Tyler.

"Hi," he said, sounding a bit nervous. A small smile began to cross his face.

"Hey," I responded, not really knowing what else to say.

"I didn't know you moved back here," he stated, looking back at me, probably expecting some sort of explanation.

"Just moved here in the summer," I replied, looking down at the floor to avoid eye contact. "We actually have a class together."

"Oh, I think I might've seen you in my first class," he said. So he probably saw me, and didn't want to say hi either. Things were pretty awkward at the moment.

"Yeah... anyway, I have to go. See you around," I responded with a smile.

"See you around," he replied quietly, a small smile on his face. I gave him a quick wave as I began to walk off.

Once I met with Selena in the front, we began to walk towards her car.

"So how was your first day?" She asked curiously as we walked side by side.

"Good," I responded, not really having much to tell her.

"Anything exciting happened?"

I thought about it, and the only thing I could think of was the fact that Tyler was in my first class and that I had bumped into him in the hallway. But I wasn't going to tell her about that. She'd pull the same thing she did the other year, and I really didn't want her interfering with me and Tyler. Things were weird between us, and we could barely talk to each other without being nervous. Selena would probably make that problem worse.

"Nope," I responded, shaking my head. "How about you?"

"It was good. Nothing exciting," she told me, and I nodded in response.

I wanted to avoid Tyler. It was obvious that things weren't ever meant to work out with us, and he didn't really want to talk to me. But that small smile on his face and his soft voice made me feel the same way I that I had felt that December we had spent together. I hated the fact that I couldn't just get over him.