twenty øne

•Y/n's POV•

I went home with Tyler the next day so we could hang out. The car ride was mostly silent until Tyler spoke up.

"Do you wanna go to Starbucks? There's one right around the corner," he asked me, his eyes focusing on the road as he drove.

"Sure," I said, not really minding where we went.

When we arrived and walked inside, I told Tyler what I wanted. I told him that I could pay myself, but he wouldn't give in. I felt bad that he had to waste his money on me.

"Thank you, Tyler," I smiled, sitting down at a small table. Tyler pulled the chair out on the other side of the table and sat down in front of me.

"No problem," he replied, bringing his drink up to his mouth and taking a sip.

"So how is college going for you?" I asked, trying to start some sort of conversation. I wasn't very good at talking to people, especially people who I hadn't seen in a long time.

"Okay, I guess," he shrugged his shoulders, looking down and sighing. "I'm just... not happy with it," he told me.

"What do you mean?" I asked. School wasn't something I particularly enjoyed, but I knew that it was obviously for the best. I wasn't sure if that was what Tyler was trying to tell me though.

"I don't think there's any point in me going," he said, looking up towards me. "I want to play music."

"Well, then you should do that," I told him, and he rose an eyebrow.

"You really think that'll work out for me?" He asked with a tone of disbelieve in his voice.

"Sure! You're one of the most talented people I've ever met," I complimented him, and I could see a light pink tint on his cheeks.

I wasn't saying that to just be nice. I was telling him the complete truth. His singing voice was unlike anything I've ever heard, and he could probably play any instrument that you put in his hands.

"I think I'm gonna drop out," he said blandly. "My mom is gonna kill me though."

"Maybe she'll be mad, but you're 18. It's your choice," I pointed out, and he nodded.

"Thanks for listening," he said, and I smiled as a way of saying 'you're welcome.'

"Anyways, how are you?" He asked, changing the subject and focusing on me.

"Good," I answered. There was an awkward silence for a few seconds. We drank our coffee, and the only thing you could hear were our quiet breaths. I tried to think of something to say to break the silence.

"Sorry about Taylor and Selena at church the other day," I told him, happy that I managed to think of something. He stifled a laugh, probably thinking about my two overly nosy friends.

"I could see what they're trying to do," Tyler chuckled, looking me in the eye. "Selena never gives up, does she?"

"Never," I assured him, rolling my eyes jokingly.

For the next few minutes, things were sort of quiet. He pulled out his phone, probably to avoid awkwardness. I looked up at him a few times, not being able to take my eyes off him. Of course, he looked towards me and noticed my staring, causing me to quickly shift my gaze.

I didn't mean for it to seem weird. His face just seemed perfect. Pretty eyes, perfect nose, a beautiful smile... I couldn't help myself from staring.

"Is there something on my face?" He asked, and I looked back at him, only to see him smirking.

"Yes," I replied.