Chapter 9

Hye Rin's P.O.V

Who did he think he was? It was such an arrogant bet, he almost reminded me of Lee Chaeyoung with those words. The confidence he exuded, the smirk he gave, any girl would have found it irresistible. Not me, I didn't feel like getting myself into something that would most likely hurt me in the end. So I laughed and left.

If he had the confidence to say such a thing, the arrogance to propose a bet like that, surely his skin was thick and he wouldn't be hurt by the way I was rejecting the bet. But a part of me was curious, a part of me wanted to take it on because it was a challenge thrown at me and I didn't want to lose it.

It was a bet and if I didn't accept the bet...it was like losing already. And I hated losing. Yet I knew I felt nothing for him, it would be cruel to let him try to win me over and at the end of the day, I wouldn't have feelings for him.

It was like playing with his heartstrings, the way you would play a melody on the harp. Sometimes the music gets heated and intense and sometimes it stays slow and peaceful, sweet and soulful. Yet after all the notes have been played, the piece of beauty would always be an unchanged piece of music, something set definite since the start.

Just like how the piece of music was the unchanged fact that I would never feel for him, simply because he was my boss. Accepting the bet was playing with the harp, his heart. Taking on the bet despite the fact that I would never love him was equivalent to playing the musical piece on the harp because it was "just there".

Because the challenge was thrown to me, because my pride didn't want to pass up the chance to win. What would I stand to gain by taking the bet, what would be my losses? What were his gains, and his losses?

The thing that I feared the most was that I would eventually be drawn to taking up the bet, and that I would hurt myself by the cruel hands of love.

But taking the bet could also mean our happily ever afters, taking the bet could mean happiness for me instead of heartbreak.

I didn't need the happiness that desperately, my life seemed pretty good. But for Mr Min...could this bet be a chance for his own happiness? Was this arrogant bet his way of asking me to fulfil his own wish for happiness? I knew close to nothing about him, he could be suffering inside and I wouldn't know. If he wanted this bet, did he see me as someone who could make him happy if I fell for him? By accepting this bet, would it give him a shot at happiness?

I didn't need the happiness. But I had always been firm on the fact that I wanted to be a blessing to anyone, to give happiness to those who wanted it.

With these thoughts weighing down my mind, I ploughed through the weekend and waited for Monday to come again at last. Because I had made up my mind.

If this was for his happiness, I would accept the bet.

-

Yoongi's P.O.V

I stepped into the company building on Monday morning wondering what I was going to do if Hye Rin really didn't want to accept the bet.

When I reached the 50th floor, I walked past Hye Rin who was already seated and sorting out files without so much as a word, it was quite awkward.

I opened the door to my office and the first thing I saw was a rather large black envelope waiting for me on my white table. I walked over to it and picked it up gingerly, noticing the small lettering written on the envelope with white ink.

Mr Min Yoongi

With absolutely no regard for the prettiness of the envelope, I sat in my desk chair and tore the envelope open. In it was a piece of paper.

Dear Mr Min,

Remember that arrogant bet you made? I thought about it over the weekend. I came up with a good answer to your statement. Call me into your office when you're ready to hear it.

Yours Sincerely,

Hye Rin.

She'd left me a letter just for this? How cute. I decided that I would be ready for her response right now, although it was probably a no.

"Hye Rin!"

The door opened soundlessly.

"I oiled your door this morning."

"Ah, thank you. So, I'm ready to hear your response to this?" I lifted the torn envelope.

"You're so sloppy with things like that, no wonder you need a PA like me to organise your things." She chuckled lightly.

"I don't just need a PA like you for organising my stuff...I need a person like you to complete my life." I mumbled.

"Eh? What was that again?"

"Nothing." I beamed at her.

"Anyway, I have the answer for you..." she stood nervously twiddling with her thumbs.

"Have a seat." I pointed to the chair opposite me.

"I decided that I'll accept your bet if its for your happiness. If you'll be happy if I accept the bet and let you try to win me over, I'll accept it, for your happiness."

"For my happiness? You mean so I won't be angry?"

"I mean for your happiness in the long run." She bowed her head and shifted in the chair.

There. She'd accepted the bet.

Suddenly, a lady in a skintight black dress and eight inch heels tottered in, reeking of expensive perfume and carrying the stench of bad attitude.

Lee Chaeyoung.

Bring in the popcorn, drama was going to begin in...

3.

2.

1.

"YOONGI!" She screeched.