Chapter 22

Yoongi's P.O.V

Standing in front of the house, I looked at Hye Rin. She smiled at me, seemingly scarred from the ordeal but otherwise still the Hye Rin I knew.

"Are you...okay?"

"I am. Thank you for helping me...again." She laughed.

      It was a bright, tinkly sound like wind chimes in my ears. As we stood in front of the burning building, transfixed, I put my hands on her shoulders.

"Hye Rin ah."

"Yes."

"Can I ask you something?"

      She nodded hesitantly.

"Did I win the bet?"

"It hasn't even been a month!" she whacked me over the head.

"But did I? Did I win in less than a month?"

"I, uh, you-"

"Let's get out of here first."

Hye Rin's P.O.V

      It was a quiet walk back to the city. My head was flooded with thoughts. Had we done the right thing to leave Chaeyoung in that building? It was, perhaps a little merciless and I felt guilty.

"Yoongi..." we walked past patches of green hillsides, the road was desolate.

      He tilted his gaze from the ground to look at me, his dark hair shining in the afternoon sun.

"Should we have left Chaeyoung...there?" I turned back to look at the column of smoke rising in the distance.

"Let me tell you something." His eyes darted around as though there would be others listening in to what he was about to tell me.

      For the whole way back, he told me the rather shocking story about Chaeyoung being an arsonist. She would set fires onto the houses of people, or the shops of people that had offended her in some way. It would only be nice to call her an arsonist. Because she was a murderer too. Those fires, they had taken lives.

      And she had never gotten caught.

"So in a way, this is her death sentence. She doesn't need to be hung, she'll just die by the same way that she used to kill others. Taste her own medicine, you know?"

"Why didn't you report her to the police when you remembered?"

"I still loved her then, I never wanted to expose her. And by the time I lost feelings for her, I couldn't remember that she had even done such a thing. The memories died with my feelings for her." He shook his head.

"Do you think badly of me for doing that?"his brows creased as we walked the pavements.

"Anyone in your position would have kept it from the authorities. So no, I don't."

      Yoongi gave a sigh, perhaps one of relief.

"Can I just say something about the bet, though?" I hid a smile, wanting to let the truth slide out.

"Wait for a moment." We neared the office in a while, but passed it, I let Yoongi lead me.

      When he stopped, I looked around me. It was the same park that we had visited on the first day of the bet, the one he had taken me to after lunch.

"There, you can say it now."

"Why here?" I laughed, hoping that I wouldn't suddenly lose my courage to tell him that I had lost, that he had won, my heart belonged to him.

"Because it's a place significant to the bet." he looked at me as if I were dumb.

"Okay, I guess. Now about the bet..."

"I've won. Look at your face, it's so obvious!" He sat on the grass laughing.

"Good job, now I don't have to be embarrassed because I don't have to say it, since you already guessed!" I stuck out my tongue at him.

"Aw, you find it embarrassing to say you like me?"

"No I-"

"Look here." He put his hands on my shoulders.

      We sat cross legged, facing each other.

"We live in a world of expectations, a world of promises. Sometimes those expectations work out, like how I expected you to fall for me in a month. Sometimes they don't, because you never expected me to have connections to someone who is truly evil. It's a 50-50. Promises, they can't be kept. Promises can't be trusted. Some say, promises were made to be broken." He snaked his fingers up my neck and broke the promise necklace away.

"After what we went through in that house earlier, I'll just tell you, I was frightened, and you obviously were, too. That experience told me that nothing can be promised- not even the tomorrow that everyone takes for granted. You could have died there. Promises are a bitter thing, they seem sweet but next to the sweet, they're bitter, bitter. So let's live life with each other without expectations and promises. Let me love you, let us go wherever the road takes us." And with a flourish, he tossed the necklace into a bush, where no one would have to see it unless they were trimming hedges or something.

      Brimming with happiness, I sighed and fell into his frame, face nuzzled into his chest.

"Yoongi, I love you. Thank you for everything you've done for me." I whispered, grateful that the heavens had sent such a person to be in my life.

      He said nothing but I could hear his smile.

Author's note: Someone save me I died from cringing while writing this chapter literal HIVES were snaking up my being oh gosh but that's okay there'll be an epilogue too so wait for ittt