Chapter 18

Hye Rin's P.O.V

The week passed swiftly, there was little to no conversation between Yoongi and I, any talk was either about work, or an awkward attempt to converse about how nice the weather was.

In which case, no matter how bright the autumn sky was, no matter how beautiful the orange trees looked when they caught the sunlight and filtered it to the ground, it was never a beautiful day.

Ever since the mini disagreement we had the other day, it had been tense between us and a cloud just seemed to hang over my every thought and action, I couldn't appreciate the beauty of the autumn season around me.

I spent lunch breaks moping, and just about dragged myself to every other task I had to do.

Finally, the last hour of work on Friday was over and I could return home. I was relieved, in a sense. I didn't have to see Yoongi for the next two days and I could be relieved of some of the tenseness I had kept in all week.

I packed up my belongings, ready to bolt for the elevator when Yoongi came out from his office and shoved a stack of paper into my hands. It was bound tightly by several rubber bands from all angles.

"Go home and sort these out, understand? Hold it properly when you walk- no, better yet, keep it in your bag." Without a second glance, he left.

I took some time to put the papers in my bag properly before catching the next lift down. What could possibly be so important to be bound by so many rubber bands? He must have lost his nuts.

Yoongi's P.O.V

"Are you sure it'll work?"

"Well I think it should. You'll find out on Monday." Taehyung crossed his legs and stared up at the ceiling.

"I could always have searched it up on Google before writing the letter out...but its too late now anyway."

I was meeting Taehyung for dinner and we were discussing a plan that we had put together.

"Like I said, you'll know on Monday. Eat your food. The japchae is good." Taehyung was busy stuffing his face.

Sometimes I really wondered if Taehyung was interested in my problems, but he seemed to be a good help anyway.

The week had been excruciating on me. Having had a door slammed in my face for a few days by Hye Rin who meant so much to me hurt badly. To even remember the events of the days following that was worse. We hadn't spoken like friends at all. Everything had been work related, or me trying to start a conversation with her but failing miserably. She must be so upset at me.

Taehyung and I had devised a way to get me to talk to her and get my feelings across to her without having to see her physically and risk upsetting her further.

I'd have to wait until Monday to know what was the result of our actions.

Hye Rin's P.O.V

The walk home seemed longer, the night seemed darker, the trees seemed bigger and more ominous than usual. Claps of thunder sounded in the distance, and the low rumble in the skies told me to quicken my pace.

The wind blew harder, fiercer, the street lights flickered and then drops of rain began to pelt me from above. They grew bigger, they hit harder and unknowingly, I found myself caught in a heavy downpour.

Not wanting to get caught in the rain, I hastened forward and ran, my feet pounding on the cement ground, sending water splashing in all directions. I had no umbrella, I had forgotten, but that was no matter for I reached home quickly and laid my outerwear to dry.

I took a hot shower and settled down at the table with my instant ramen. I had forgotten the seasoning and the noodles were absolutely awful. Sputtering and choking down the last of the tasteless mush, I decided that it would be a good idea to get started on the pile of papers that Yoongi had passed to me, just so that my weekend could pass unhindered.

Tossing the bowl into the sink, I made sure to clean the table properly before I laid the papers down. It was nothing much, just a ton of financial information that had to be sorted into a few stacks depending on the category they fell into, and who was to access these papers.

But around three quaters through the pile, something shiny underneath the topmost paper caught my eye. Glancing over the top piece of paper, I sorted it into the stack that it was meant to go to before taking a closer object that had caught my eye.

It was a silver chain, with a ring hung around it. This was nestled on top a piece of paper thicker than the others, this piece looked very different.

I would see numbers on the other papers that I had sorted properly. But this piece had words on it.

Should I read it? It could be private, it could belong to Yoongi. But when the words 'Hye Rin' passed through my vision, I decided to read it. If it were meant for someone else, I could always pretend that I had never seen it anyway.

Hye Rin

I hid this between the papers because I want you to know the contents of this letter, even if you're mad and don't want to talk to me.

I don't want to give up this bet, I need you.

You mentioned that you're "just a PA", that Lee Chaeyoung was "right".

But please know, you're not "just a PA to me". You mean the world to me and not talking to you hurts. I fell for you, but I never asked you to date me directly because I'm no good with words, so this bet was my way of saying that I hope you'll eventually love me too. It's the way I do things, and i never intended to imply that I would get anything I wanted, even if it was you. It was never meant to establish any position as 'alpha'.

Have you ever heard of a promise ring? I have, but I don't know what it does. I'm not a romantic. Taehyung asked whether it was something you eat but I didn't think so.

Whatever a promise ring does, I have no knowledge. But I wanted to give you this silver necklace with a ring on it, knowing that this is what I want my promise to you to be.

With it, I hope you know that I'll promise you that I'll do anything until you love me back. I'll do anything, until the very end. I put it on a chain because I don't want anyone to make things difficult for you by asking who gave it to you.

By the way, ignore Chaeyoung's dumb advances. All that matters is the two of us, I couldn't care less about what that wretched woman could do to us.

Please don't be mad at me anymore :(

- Yoongi X

That night, I fell asleep with the necklace round my neck, finding the most serenity and calm that I'd had all week.