Chapter 12

Jaebum and I walk to his car in comfortable silence and we drive around town, until he pulls over at a diner not too far from his apartment. Jaebum and I get seated at a booth next to the window.

I silently look at my menu and Jaebum does the same. An older woman came and took our order and we sat in silence. "So." Jaebum says.

"So . . . ?" I answered back.

"We uh—never finished our conversation last night." Jaebum states.

"Right, we didn't." I said awkwardly.

"I'm just gonna come out and say it. I want to be with you, Aria. And, I think we should take our relationship with a grain of salt. "

"I agree." I said honestly.

Jaebum smiles and then continues. "You and I have a lot to learn from each other. I think getting to know each other and hanging out more will really make the difference."

"I feel like you're trying to lead up to something else. Is there something you're not telling me?" I said suspiciously. Jaebum sighs, but looks at me and answers me dead on. 

"I like you Aria. A lot." He started. He hesitated a bit and took a deep breath.

"This has something to do with the question you asked me, doesn't it?" I asked curiously.

"Yes. But—"

"But?"

"I will not ask you again, until the time is right."

"Why don't you ask me now?"

"Because you don't trust me yet. Not completely. I want you to be able to trust me. That question is literally based off trust and protection. If you don't trust me, we won't work. Does that make sense?" Jaebum explained.

"Kind of." I responded honestly. Jaebum smiles a small smile and sighs with relief.

"That's all I'll say about it then."

"Should I be worried?" I asked quietly.

"No. If anything, no matter what, you have my protection, whether you're mine or not." Jaebum said as he looked right at me, with full on eye contact. And for some reason, I'm both frightened and turned on by that.

Our food arrives and we eat in comfortable silence. Every now and again, Jaebum and I would make eye contact. After we ate, Jaebum and I walk to his car.

"I guess I'll take you home now."

"You guess?" I grin.

"I'll take you home now." He said sarcastically with a grin.

"I appreciate that."

Jaebum drives off and heads down the main highway to get back to campus and back to my apartment complex. He pulls up in front of the building and swings around to park his car.

I unbuckle my seatbelt and get ready to get out of the car. "Aria?" Jaebum says.

"Yeah?"

"Do you mind, if I come up for a little while?" He asked.

"Why?"

"Honestly, I don't want to go home quite yet."

I smile a small smile and say, "Sure."

I scan my student ID to get into the building and Jaebum walks in after me. We walk by the front desk and head to the door that leads to the elevators.

"What do you live in a prison?" Jaebum joked.

"They don't want just anyone walking into the building. It's for safety, I think." I explained.