T w e n t y T h r e e

MATTS POV

Did Jake have a new boyfriend?

I watched her leave me there and walk across the street to some red head. They started talking and then he hugged her.

That sent a sharp pain through my chest and I pulled myself away from the view.

I should be the one holding her. She should be hugging me, not him.

I walked back to the empty auditorium and sat down on the stage.

Tears formed in my eyes as I regretted that horrible night where I had danced and kissed Kira.

The night I hurt Jake.

"Hey dude." Aaron walked in and sat down next to me.

I guess he had forgiven me too.

I quickly wiped my tears so he couldn't see them. Too late.

"Are you crying?" He asked.

I shrugged.

"It's ok I get it. I saw what happened with you and Jake and that new guy." He looked at me sympathetically.

"I don't get it. Just an hour ago we were laughing together and then she goes off with another guy so suddenly." I frowned and shuffled my feet.

"Their probably just friends." Aaron shrugged.

"Not for long. He'll probably try an make a move sooner or later. But in the end he'll just screw up her life just like I did." Tears were back in my eyes and I blinked them away.

"Nah, I don't think she's ready for another relationship yet." He said.

"Guess so."

We sat in silence for a little bit.

"It's late I'm going to bed." He stood up.

"Ok." I said and he left me to drown in my thoughts.

JAKES POV

The next morning I woke up early to some faint talking in the hallway.

I looked over to see if Caitlin was awake and she was still asleep. So I fixed my hair and walked into the hallway.

"Nash?" I asked, my voice hoarse from sleeping.

My cousin was sitting on the floor with his phone.

"Jake?" He asked surprised.

"What are you doing?" I sat down next to him and looked at his phone.

"Hey Jake!" Cassie waved from inside his phone.

I guess they were facetiming.

"Cassie!" I smiled and waved back. I missed seeing her energetic self.

Nash blushed and looked at his phone with adoration.

"I'm gonna go get some breakfast. I miss you Cassie! I'll try and visit soon!" I blew a kiss jokingly and she pretended to catch it. We both laughed and then I left.

"I miss you so much it's so hard for me knowing that I can't be there to kiss you and protect you." I heard Nash say sadly as I turned the corner.

"I miss you too. School isn't the same without you." Cassie sighed back.

Their voices faded as I got farther away. The main lobby was empty so I bet it was early. But how early?

I checked my phone: 6:45.

Geez.

I found the breakfast room and grabbed a chocolate muffin. No one else was awake besides Nash so I checked my phone for texts.

Maybe Kate was awake. She was an early riser.

TO KATE:

Hey girl, I miss you😘

I was right because she responded a few moments later.

FROM KATE:

Hey I miss you too❤️

TO KATE:

What am I missing back at home?

FROM KATE:

Nm. It's kinda boring without everyone here. Class is quieter which is weird because you know how loud Harley and Aiden can get😂 but everyone misses you.

TO KATE:

I miss them too😔

I yawned and took a bite of my muffin.

It was nice and warm since it had just been made. The chocolate chips melted in my mouth.

I missed everyone at home even though I had only been gone for two days. Magcon was harder than I thought it was gonna be.

"Hey Jake. Why are you up so early?" Connor walked out of the breakfast room with a plate full of pancakes.

I sat there and felt self conscious as I looked down at the baggy sweatpants and sweatshirt I had slept in. My hair was in a messy ponytail and all I had on my feet were short tye dye socks. He didn't have on much better, but he looked more cleaned up.

Ew, I probably smelled too.

"Hey." I waved back and held up my muffin as to indicate why I was up so early.

"Nice. I have to get the hotel ready for the guests when they wake up." He said and sat down next to me.

I took another bite of my muffin.

"Cool." I nodded and we awkwardly sat there for a minute.

Then he reached for my hand and tried to hold it.

Oh no. Is he trying to make a move? Does he like me?

I sure hoped not. I was done with liking guys and having them like me back for a while.

I didn't want a repeat of the heartbreak.

"Uuuhh... Taylor wanted me back soon to uh... Unpack?" I jumped up before his hand had touched mine.

"Oh, um yea. You should probably go do that." His cheeks burned and he stood up too.

I felt bad.

"Ok well I uh- I got to go. Bye!" I said.

He reached out to hug me but I held up my hand for a high five. When I saw him reach for a hug, I tried to hug him back but he then tried to give me a high five.

"I'm just gonna go now." I waved awkwardly.

"Yea me too." He winced and we parted.

Talk about awkward.

Hey guys short update I just kinda wanted to get one in tonight so yea it's not that good. Ok Idk what else to say but this kid in my grade ate a pencil yesterday and I got really scared so yea, fun. Bye love you thanks for reading and voting! -Jane