T h i r t y S i x

JAKES POV

It was around 1 o'clock that morning when I was awoken by a loud banging at our front door.

I sat up quickly, surveying my surroundings. I appeared to be in my room so I must've woken up earlier and walked upstairs.

The banging stopped.

Curiously, I stood up. I knew that if someone broke in, I was the only one who could defend us since Taylor wasn't home.

BANG!

The door was hit once again and a faint scream left my mouth.

Grabbing my softball bat, I opened my bedroom door cautiously. The hallway leading to our stairs was pitch black which made goosebumps appear on my arms.

The banging stopped again and I heard a door creak open. Footsteps shuffled downstairs and a small light appeared, and started to make it's way up the stairs.

My heart stopped. The stairs creaked as the person walked up the stairs. I dove behind a corner and held my breath.

The light was coming closer to me now, as it had reached the top of the stairs. I mustered all the courage I had not to scream.

The light went out.

My eyes widened as someone grabbed my shoulder.

And I screamed.

"Jake?!" My mom asked with a high pitched voice.

"Mom?!" I stopped screaming and turned on my phone flash light in order to come face to face with none other than Mrs. Caniff herself.

"You almost gave me a heart attack! Why were you banging on your door?!" She asked in an annoyed tone.

"I wasn't- I didn't- that wasn't you?" I stared at her, fumbling for breath.

"What?" She tilted my head in question.

"I wasn't banging on the door, I thought it was you!" I whispered.

She slowly shook her head and I felt the blood drain from my face.

As if we were connected, we both slowly turned our heads to face the stairs.

A dark figure was outside our front door.

BAM BAM BAM!

It slammed it's fist against our door.

I grabbed my bat and started to make my way down the steps.

The terrifying descend down the steps felt like it took forever. With every step I took I could hear my conscious telling myself to turn back and call the police.

I ignored it and kept walking.

Finally I found myself at the bottom.

The person pounded on the door and I jumped back.

"Just open it." I heard myself say.

With every ounce of courage and stupidity I had, I yanked open the door, expecting the worst.

"Jake!" The figure jumped on me, wrapping it's arms around me.

Instinctively, I whacked it with my bat.

"Ow!" The person screamed, definitely a boy, and leapt back from me.

I turned on the lights and stared at the boy.

"TAYLOR?!" I screamed.

"Hey." Taylor grimaced weakly, rubbing his shoulder where I had smacked him.

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! YOU ALMOST SCARED ME HALF TO DEATH AND ALL YOU SAY IS 'HEY'? WHY ARE YOU EVEN HOME AT THIS TIME OF NIGHT?!" I yelled at him angrily.

He grinned sheepishly.

"Well uh, about that. I was supposed to come back right after the show, which I did. I was going to get in the house and decorate it and make you guys breakfast as a surprise that I was home. I kinda assumed that the door was gonna be unlocked so I could slip in. Well when I got here it wasn't, and I was locked out in the pouring rain. So, I tried to get you guys to let me in." He rubbed the back of his neck guiltily.

I looked him up and down. He was drenched from head to toe in rain.

My mom rushed down the stairs and grumbled in displeasure when she saw Taylor.

"It's you." She looked him up and down disappointedly.

"Yea." He said dryly.

She glared at him and walked out of the room.

Rolling my eyes, I looked back at Taylor.

"That was a stupid idea." I told him.

"I realize that." He nodded.

"Well I don't have much to say to you so I'm going back to bed." I crossed my arms and started to walk back upstairs.

"Jake? I wanted to say something." Taylor reached out for me but I pulled away coldly.

"Save it. I'm done with you." I spat out and slammed my door once I reached the top of the stairs, leaving him soaked and alone in the dim light of our downstairs.

Hey guys short update sorry. I'll try to do a double update but I might just hold off for a few days. I'm probs gonna have a hard time updating in the next few months due to school which I have in a week. So bare with me. -Jane