Twenty-two: 'something' and heart monitor

Emma's P.O.V:

"What are we even looking for?" I quietly ask, as Stiles noses around Coach's office.

It isn't bright like the rest of the offices I've been in; it's actually kind of dark and super messy.

"This," Stiles says, lifting a strap in his hand.

"A heart monitor," I mumble and pieces fall into place. "Oh, Stiles, that's brilliant! Don't we need an app for that?"

Stiles looks around until he spots Coach's phone over the desk.

That was easy.

"Does it actually work?" I whisper, not sure of why. Coach never goes to his own office anyways.

"Yeah...look," he says, tossing the phone at me and putting the strap around his body.

Then, he walks towards me. Oh no.

"We're not talking about this."

"Emma," he says in a low voice, "I don't want to talk."

He takes another step, numbers going up with each breath. I only hear it, my eyes stuck on him.

"This doesn't prove anything." I hold the phone in front of his face.

"Okay," he whispers, his eyes never leaving mine. He slowly takes the phone out of my hand, our fingers brushing, and he sets it in his pocket. "I know something that will."

He leans in, and just like the first time, I let him. Our lips touch each other and his hands sneak around my waist, while mine go to his shoulders.

I kiss him back, because even though I hate to admit it, I like it. I like the way he kisses me, how he holds me, so firmly but delicate at the same time.

I slowly open my eyes as we pull apart for air. I can hear the phone going crazy, but I don't even need it to know how fast his heart is beating, because mine is the same.

"Why'd you do that?" I ask, breathing hard.

"Why'd you let me?" he asks back.

"Stiles-"

"No, Emma" he sighs. "This time it wasn't out of anger or desperation. I kissed you because I wanted to. Ever since your birthday, I've been wanting to do that again and I hate this awkward tension between us. Can we please be okay again?"

"How in hell could we be 'okay' again if we just kissed? We used to be fine without all of this!"

"Lie to me and tell me you didn't feel anything, Emma," he orders, taking a step back; his eyes never leaving mine.

"Stiles, I don't want to date you, I don't even know if I like you!" The bell rings and I know we need to get out of here soon.

"We don't need to date for fuck's sake!" He rolls his eyes. "But, we can, like, be something."

I reach for his lips and kiss him three seconds, don't giving him the time to kiss me back.

"Shall we get out of here?"

He lets go of me and we get out of Coach's office, he taking the strap out of his waist.

"We just made out in Coach's office, how hot is that?" he whispers in my ear, passing an arm around my shoulders.

"Now that you put it this way, just imagine how many people have done that before." I laugh and he rolls his eyes at me.

"Shut up."

We meet Scott at the lacrosse field and I don't like at all the suspicious glare he gives us when Stiles and I are laughing at something stupid.

"Okay," Stiles says, "now, put this on." he takes the heart monitor out.

"Isn't this one of the heart monitors for the track team?" Scott asks and of course it is.

"Yes, we borrowed it," I inform him, though is a lie and he knows it.

"Stole it," he corrects me.

"Temporarily misappropriated" Stiles corrects him.

Stiles explains out theory about the heartbeat being related to the shift.

"Isn't that Coach's phone?" Scott asks me when I take the phone out again.

"That we stole." I simply admit and he smirks.

Then the fun part starts.

Scott's hands are tied in his back; we have a lacrosse stick and several balls.

"It's not exactly how I wanted to spend my free period," he says. I look at Stiles who's already looking back at me. I know what he's thinking.

"We neither." I pat Scott's shoulder before following Stiles.

"Remember," Stiles adds. "Don't get angry."

I set the app that measures the heartbeats and Stiles takes the stick and a ball.

He throws the first ball that hits right into Scott's chest.

"Nice aiming," I compliment him.

"Come here, throw one." He gives me the stick and lets me throw a ball. It hits Scott near his collarbones and I'm starting to think I really like lacrosse.

Ball after ball, Stiles and I made turns to get back at Scott for being a terrible friend the last few days.

"You know what? I think my aiming is actually improving!" I exclaim right before throwing another ball.

It got to the point where Scott lost control over his heartbeats.

"Scott!" I call him, running towards him.

"Scott, you started to change," Stiles points out when Scott calms down a bit.

"From anger; but it's more than that. The angrier I got the stronger I felt," he confesses, Derek's right one more time.

How is hate this kid.

"It is anger then, Derek's right," Stiles says.

"I can't be around Allison," Scott states. Tell me something I don't know.

"Just because she makes you happy?" Stiles asks, looking at me.

"Because she makes me weak."

~

Free period will be over soon, so Stiles and Scott decide to go to the locker room to drop the lacrosse implements.

"I'll see you in economics," I say, talking to Stiles.

"Yeah, I'll see you there." He gives me a confident smile and I go to class more than happy.

Maybe this "something" going on between us could work.

Hopefully.

- - - -

DEFINE STEMMA IN ONE WORD